XPs built in VPN

Couple of things it could be. You mention that you are trying to connect from work. Does work have a firewall that might be blocking?

Also, keep in mind that in addition to port 1723 TCP. you need to open up and forward GRE, which is neither TCP nor UDP, but it's own IP protocol.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz
Loading thread data ...

Probably not.

Anyway, these restrictions are on the firewall for a reason, right?

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

I am having a hell of a time getting connected to my XP Pro box at home. I setup an incoming VPN connection using the wizard, set my firewall to allow PPTP passthrough and forwarded port 1723 (both TCP and UDP, but I think I only need TCP) to my XP box.

I setup my machine at work using the XP VPN wizard to make an outgoing connection. Well, when I try to connect to my WAN IP address I am unable to connect. I don't know what I should try now. I have my outgoing connection set to AUTO instead of PPTP or IPSec, but I am pretty sure the XP VPN connections are PPTP, right?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

--Dan

Reply to
dg

Yes, "work" does indeed have a firewall that could be screwing me up. If that is the case, is there any way to make this work without asking the network administrator to change the firewall settings? I work under the IT dept and the administrators office is right across the hall from me, but I would never ask him to change the firewall for something so unnecessary. Really I just wanted the ability to grab a file from home if necessary. Any tips? I know there are alternatives to VPN like using FTP for transferring files (which would be downright easy), but ideally I could use a VPN.

Thanks,

--Dan

Reply to
dg

It doesn't really matter if there is a specific reason. Pretty much we don't allow anything through the firewall that isn't absolutely necessary. My situation here, isn't absolutely necessary. I still wonder if there is another type of VPN that doesn't use PPTP, that WILL work given the state of the firewall at work.

--Dan

Reply to
dg

XP Home has VPN functionality. I know because I set one up.

Reply to
Bob

If you are using XP Pro (I assume you are if the VPN server functionality is there)

You can use the disk sharing of the Remote desktop client to copy files between home and work.

Reply to
Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTE

If it is so obvious that XP Home has VPN implemented, then why did someone make the comment above which implies that the OP must be using XP Pro because VPN functionality is there?

Reply to
Bob

Yeah, sorry. I should have flamed HIM, since the OP specifically said he was using pro anyway.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Probably not. I would certainly hope that the same firewall that is blocking his VPN is blocking SMB!

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Disk sharing is not done via SMB on the remote desktop client. It is encapsulated within the RDP stream just like printer sharing, sound, and the clipboard. It is independent of the PPTP and SMB protocols that were being discussed. It is off by default on the client but can be enabled on the client by going to the options under local resources and checking disk drives.

It can also be disabled on the server side with group policy or registry settings:

formatting link

Reply to
Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTE

Two other methods you can try:

1) SSH - if you firewall does not block port 22. In this case, you need a SSH daemon on your home PC. Try installing cygwin
formatting link
makes linux utilities available on Windows. You need to port forward port 22 to you XP machine. If you manage to set this up, it will give you the maximum flexibility; shell access. In addition, SSH is very secure (suggest to use protocol version 2 only).

2) Run IIS (better Apache) on your Home PC, map the directory you want to grab files into IIS document tree. Now, a lot of ISP block port 80 hosting. So, I suggest you use port 443 on your IIS. Port forward port 443 at your firewall to the PC. At work, to access your home web server, always use this http://a.b.c.d:443 (not https:// which will start a SSL negotiation). Please be real careful with your access control on your IIS, otherwise, your will be attracting lots of problem.

Good luck. K.

Reply to
kawika

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.