w2k vpn and linksys

I'm trying to setup a win2k machine to allow a vpn connection. I used the connection wizard to all outside connections. I setup the linksys wrv54g router to port forward, port 1723. When I try to connect from another machine, it refuses the connection.

Is there way to see what is the real problem? Logs or a testing tool would be helpful.

Thanks

Reply to
Dwight
Loading thread data ...

I have port forwarding setup for both ports, but nothing. How does one track down the problem? I know port forwarding is working, since I use it to vnc into the machine.

Thanks

Reply to
Dwight

If this is an INBOUND (from Internet to Internal computer) then you have to foward port 1723 TCP/UDP and port 47 TCP/UDP to the internal computer. Yes, I know that GRE is not port 47, but that's the fix that Linksys has for it not being fully supported.

Reply to
Leythos

Linksys does that??? GRE is an IP packet TYPE 47 NOT TCP OR UDP based...my god those cheap little home caliber devices are crap.

To the Original Poster DO NOT USE THIS SET UP IN A CORPORATE environment. It is ok at home but NOT WORK. Just my opinion...

Michael

>
Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier

No one uses a Linksys Router with NAT in a corporate environment - at least not anyone that wants to keep their job :)

Linksys has a few workarounds, but so does NetGear and D-Link. In the case of a D-Link you have to forward only TCP or UDP (can't remember which one)

47 to the internal device, not BOTH.
Reply to
Leythos

The way to test inbound VPN is to VPN into the 2000 box from a machine INSIDE the network already and see if you can get a connection, if you can, then the port forwarding is all you have to get right.

So, you've port forwarded TCP/UDP 1723 & 47 to the internal IP of the VPN machine you want external users to access?

Have you looked at the Linksys Help site for your specific routers VPN setup information?

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.