VoIP out caller ID

If I use VoIP to call out (ATT CallVantage) will my phone number show correctly on the recipient's Caller ID? Would this vary with different locations? - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

I just found out that it shows both number and ID correctly. It sort of eases my mind about the 911 issue.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I can tell you from my experience with Vonage that it will show your number but not your name. But there is Caller ID block available with Vonage.

Reply to
epclark

According to my correspondent, number and name showed up on their caller ID. ATT uses "AnyWho" to associate name with number. Sorry, but I do not know any other details of how it works.

I do know that for 911 calls it is an ATT responder who must forward the call to the local police/fire/ems based on the information that the subscriber (me) entered into the CallVantage system. I have *heard* that that (2nd) call does not arrive at our local constabulary with the appropriate hardware generated information to trigger the E911 system that our town has. In other words, the 911 caller (from my house) really needs to stay on the line. Can others elaborate on this?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Rick, I'm curious as to what you mean by "both number and id?" Specifically, the "id" part.

My guess is that you meant only the number--just the way you said it.

I have a different service and have evaluated yet another--neither have had a name associated with it upon reaching the called-number CID box. So I was wondering if AT&T was doing something more?

Furthermore, I realize (for those that may be tempted to respond with additional info) that it's really the "lookup" or "dip" that's done by the terminating carrier. In the case of a LEC, the LIDB furnishes the info for CID. However, it's contents are driven by the info that the carrier who owns the number provides. In this topic, it would be AT&T CallAdvantage. Jon

Reply to
Jon Wang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.