VoiP on a Win 98 PC ?

A friend of mine uses a Win98 PC and I'd like to know whether there is any free VoIP app that also runs under Win 98 ?

Thanks Frank

Reply to
FTR
Loading thread data ...

SJphone

formatting link

Reply to
Even Afwezig

I haven't tried it. But Yahoo is offering something that does PC to PC calls:

formatting link
Regards, Mac Stevens

Reply to
Mac Stevens

SJlabes says: Attention! Having SJphone installed is not enough to talk. You have to purchase an account with any ITSP like Vonage or start your own service. The direct host2host calls work, but you need to know your party's IP-address.

So, I guess this is somewhat tricky. thanks for the hint, never of heard before Frank

Reply to
FTR

Its simple, no need to worry. You could use it with voipuser,

formatting link
for free.

Reply to
Even Afwezig

Thanks for this precision Frank

Reply to
FTR

< snip >

Pity the site isn't a bit more helpful. What's it for ? To give people in the UK another phone number ?

Regards, John.

Reply to
John Fitzsimons

På Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:46:16 +0100, skrev FTR :

PicoPhone. W95-XP

formatting link
's really good. :-) I've read some reviews from users who didn't quite get the registration issue.

Reply to
JP Loken

Amazing. Thanks.

Another question: any app for conference calling with win98 ?

Frank

Reply to
FTR

På Sat, 18 Feb 2006 00:00:40 +0100, skrev FTR :

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but "PicoPhone allows multiple concurrent calls..."

Reply to
JP Loken

From the SJphone help: If you want to talk to several respondents simultaneously, you need to start a conference. That can be done by clicking the Conference button on the SJphone Main panel. Now you may talk to several respondents simultaneously. They also will hear you and each other.

Reply to
Even Afwezig

Thanks, a new one for me. :-)

Reply to
Even Afwezig

Thanks, didn't see that.

Frank

Reply to
FTR

John, it is a free voip server,

formatting link
it all.

Reply to
Even Afwezig

What's wrong with Skype? It does work with win98 -- if you get the correct version.

See:

formatting link
I am using v1.4.0.84

Reply to
Rider

And the different versions collaborate well? We intend to have conference calls between PCs with XP, a PC with Win98 and a Mac. Any idea ?

Frank

Reply to
FTR

with these operating systems. Skype may work with Windows 98 (Win98)or ME but we cannot yet guarantee compatibility. Some WinME/9x video (and possibly others) drivers tend to use 100% of processor for their needs for relatively long periods of time. This can cause the audio quality to degrade significantly. In addition, WinME/9x does not offer full unicode support, which means that some things may not display properly.

Did you have any of the difficulties mentioned?

Frank

Reply to
FTR

Can't see why not. Conferencing is a function of the network service. (The PC is just the client software.)

It's free to download and install. Why not try it out? Install one to win98, another to an XP machine, another to a MAC (humm, des it work on MAC?) Then try it out. Post back here if you do.

Reply to
Rider

I have to convince my colleagues in 3 different countries. This will take a little time. We'll see.

Frank

Reply to
FTR

With voipuser.org i can phone for free to normal landlines, sky is not free, you have buy credits.....

Reply to
Even Afwezig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.