Does Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 run on Win 98 ?

I've just gone through the ordeal of removing ZoneAlarm from my portable. (some crap about missing vsdata95.vxd during re-boot)

I want to know if Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6.2808 is OK for Win98? Also, any problems with uninstalling this, in case...? (In case you are wondering - yes, I am aware that Sygate has been taken over, and that its products are no longer being developed.)

Thanks for any answers.

Reply to
kes
Loading thread data ...

My understanding is that Sygate 5.6 2808 works quite well on a Win98 computer. I have not run it personally, but a friend of mine was very pleased with it on three different Win98 computers. I run Sygate Pro 5.5 2710 on a Win98 with excellent results. Uinstalled it once without any problems. In fact, I have used Sygate for 5-Yrs without any problems at all. Casey

Reply to
Casey

You don't need any personal firewall on Windows 9x. Inbound control isn't necessary because all you need to do for having all ports closed is disable file and printer sharing. And outbound control is futile, because Windows 9x doesn't have any security system that could even try to enforce it.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

"kes" wrote

yes

no

I use v2808 and v3311 on W'98SE pc's.

Reply to
cosmo

Will sygate run on windows vista ?

Reply to
d11

Don't know. Sygate was bought by Symantec quite some time ago. I understand there is a Vista beta out now. Bet there are quite few Sygate users that are wondering the same thing. If you try it, please let all of us know. Casey

Reply to
Casey

Yes, but most W98 users went back to 5.5 (which i doubt that you can find now). 5.6 had an annoying problem with one of its background tasks (smc.exe?) IIRC. It didn't shutdown when the computer was shutdown. So you'd have to 3 finger salute it before you could shut the computer down.

Not to my knowledge.

Reply to
DrunkenMister

you mean version 5.5.2710?

Reply to
chris

formatting link

Reply to
bassbag

Yep!

Reply to
DrunkenMister

"DrunkenMister" wrote

still on the internet.

Best place is :

formatting link
and also on

formatting link

Reply to
chris

I installed the public RC1 of Vista and installed Sygate pro v

5.6.3408 and it will not run on this version of vista. After reading this article I am begining to see why it will not run.

formatting link
"Microsoft is using their dominant position to regulate what security can be provided on their system and how that security is provided," said Rowan Trollope, Symantec's vice president for consumer engineering. "Microsoft has regulated what choices are there: 'You're going to have our stuff no matter what.' "

Reply to
d11

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.