Setting up simple VoIP gateway

Hello All, I have a wireless LAN that connects five villages in Nepal (see

formatting link
for more info). Only one village has a phone line, so I would like to construct or buy a simple VoIP gateway that will let computer users in all villages use the one landline we have. How hard and expensive is this? And what hardware/software should I be looking at? Note that we want to make calls within Nepal, and we are not interested in purchasing VoIP service with an existing provider. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Robin Shields

Reply to
Robin
Loading thread data ...

I've used an Sipura SPA-3000 for such a task. Now that the method for getting calls forwarded without answering has been discovered, it's quite a useful device. It would be a simple and cheap solution.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Kyler, Thanks for the info. Can you give more details on the specifics of your setup? How do users on your LAN access the sipura unit and make land line phone calls? Is their any reason to pick the SPA 3000 over the other SPA models? Any more detailed info would be great. Best Robin

Reply to
Robin

Reply to
Robin

Well, it's a mess right now. I have a bunch of SPA-2000s, a TDM-400, a (junked) IAXy, an SPA-3000, and a Polycom Soundpoint IP 500. I have Asterisk running at home (not used right now) and at a colocated server.

I have our existing phones plugged into it (on a common line). I'm planning to get more complicated later but our existing phones have intercom and paging functionality so I'm reluctant to give them up before I get the same functionality on Asterisk.

The SPA-3000 provides a telco line interface (FXO). It's only better if you need that. Note that Sipura has a couple new models. I have not tried them but I'm trying to order some now (through work).

I'll be happy to go deeper into topics of interest.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Hi Kyler, Is the SPA sufficent on its own for LAN to land line phone calls, or is it necessary to have the additional hardware your mentioned (i.e. the TDM400) and a server such as asterisk. I'm hoping that LAN users can use something like an H323 client to access the outside line, but I'm still not sure how this works. Maybe it will become clearer if I just get the SPA 3000? Thanks again.

Best Robin

Reply to
Robin

The Sipura devices are certainly capable on their own. That's why I'm not even using my home Asterisk right now. I was experimenting with the SPA-2000s connecting to my colocated server (through NAT) and they worked so well that I gave up on my home machine.

I recall having dialed out on an SPA-3000 directly from an SPA-2000. I think it was clumsy but it can probably be made simple.

Yes, get the SPA-3000. Play with it. It'll be good for you.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Dear Robin:

The easiest solution would be to use IP Phones. Most IP phones can also act as a VOIP Gateway to PSTN. So the IP Phones would provide both intercom and extend the PSTN line over LAN.

You must be knowing that with the genereous help of Mr. Temo Montaya, we got three IP phones for the same project. I had handed over the phones to Mahavir around a month back and he says the telephone lines are already extended from Pokhara to the villages.

But I still doubt the legal issues in Nepal regarding VOIP. I hope with the new cyber law, things get straightened out. Regards,

Summit Raj Tuladhar

Reply to
summitraj

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.