PSTN and VOIP in one box

Hello, Does anyone know if there is a box available to allow me to join both my telco single line and my vonage line together in one box. I'm in the Bahamas. I would like to be able to call in from my cell or other landline and enter some type of code or function that then allows me to receive a dial tone from my vonage box and make a call. Similar to a pbx I guess, but with only two lines. My Vonage box is the Cisco ATA-186. So I would go from my vonage box into the " new switch box or something" with a phone line, and my telco line would also go into the "new switch box or something".

Thanks. I don't know if this is something that can be done with Asterisk, a linux box and two regular modems, but can someone confirm that please?

Reply to
peasngrits
Loading thread data ...

Yes Asterisk can be used to do this.

Get a Sipura FXS/FXO box and attach your Vonage line to the in on that box and then the out of that box to a real land line then set up your dial plan in Asterisk to do what you want.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

So you're saying that I need to use both the Sipura box and Asterisk? I would have thought it would be one or the other. I have to read up on Asterisk some more, but how would the asterisk box be connected to the sipura box? Would asterisk then be controlling the sipura box as a switch?

Ray Cassick \\(Home\\) wrote:

Reply to
peasngrits

You could use one of the FXO/FXS PCI cards for the Asterisk PC instead of the Sipura box. You can get them from Digium or buy one of ebay

formatting link
The FXO goes to the telco, the FXS goes to the V> So you're saying that I need to use both the Sipura box and Asterisk? I

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

The Sipura SPA-300, all by itself, will allow you to call out on POTS line from a SIP connection. Download the SPA-3000 manual from Sipura to see the full set of gatewaying functions it can do.

The problem you'll find is that Vonage doesn't really let you use your own equipment. They want you to use theirs and they lock it down so you can't change anything.

(BTW. I have a spa-3000 but just use it with asterisk. I did see all the standalone gatewaying functions in the manual but have never used them.)

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Why is everyone making this harder than this is? You have a vonage box, which means in reality you have a plain old telephone line (POTS). and you have a local (POTS) line.

buy a two line phone and you're done. if the phone won't let you plug in two seperate line cords then just buy an L!+L2 to 4 wire line cord converter (US$3.50) and again, you're done.

btw - by "cell or other land line" I hope you mean "land line" or "home phone" or whatever. if you have a cell phone (real cellular service) then you'll need a simple box that converts cellular to home style wiring ($100.00) before you can join it with your vonage line in the two line phone mentioned above (or in a telephone system of any type).

Good luck.

peasngrits wrote:

Reply to
murray

You could do this with Asterisk if you happened to have an entire PC with two line cards lying around, but it's swatting a fly with a shovel.

What you want is known as a line extender, you dial in on one line, enter an access code, then you can dial out on a second line. They used to be available all over the place, but I guess that as long distance charges have approached zero in the US, people have much less reason to use all the hacks they used to do to make cheap phone calls.

Here's one that will do what you want. It lists for about $300, Froogle has it as cheap as $268.

formatting link

Reply to
John L

How exactly would a two line phone allow the OP to call in on one leg and out the other?

Reply to
Rod Dorman

yup, my bad. when I initially read this I took it to mean "bridge a call".

Rod Dorman wrote:

Reply to
murray

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.