Which adaptor?

I am about to try VOIP for the first time, and I've been reading about the various adaptors etc. I have a single motorola cordless 5.8 GHz phone, and I'll probably be adding a fax machine. The net connection is a cable modem currently attached to a D-link DI-624 wireless router.

I don't want locked down hardware so I'm thinking about a Sipura. Which would you recommend? A SPA-2000, 3000, 1001 or something different? Any suggestions about where to get it? Also, does Vonage complain if you bring your own (unlocked) hardware? Thanks for any advice.

Wiggling

Reply to
wiggling
Loading thread data ...

Thank you. That is very useful. So at least for Vonage, it appears that I need to get one of their adaptors to start. That's a shame since there have been lots of complaints about their Linksys adaptors. Wiggling

Reply to
wiggling

I use both the Sipura 1000 and the Vonage Linksys PAP2 (Sipura 2000)

Sipura SPA-1000 1 Port Analog Adapter (FXS) Sipura SPA-1001 Single FXS RJ11 Analog Adapter SIP VoIP Gateway Sipura SPA-2000 Dual FXS Analog Adapter SIP VoIP Gateway Sipura SPA-2100 Dual RJ11 FXS, Dual RJ45 SIP VoIP Gateway w. T.38 Sipura SPA-3000 Single FXS, Single FXO VoIP Gateway SIP Analog Adapter

formatting link
Post subject: RE: VoIP Solution to lower my bills? Posted: Dec 20, 2004 -

06:57 AM mberlant 1) The -3000 and -1001 are different prices because they have different features and functions. The -3000 has both an FXS channel (for connecting a telephone set to a VoIP service provider, etc.) and an FXO channel (for connecting your POTS service to a VoIP service provider.

The -1001 has two FXS channels under the hood, with only one telephone connection that chooses between the two services. You can more reasonably compare the -1001 to the -1000 (discontinued), which has one FXS channel, and the -2000, which has two independent FXS channels connecting to two separate telephone sets.

formatting link
Bonus:

Sipura SPA-1001s purchased from Voxilla include the following:

One free month, with all activation fees waived, of any Broadvoice's unlimited plan, including "Unlimited World Plus"

Up to 100 free calling minutes through iConnectHere;

formatting link

If you want to BYOD, and you want your own incoming phone number, your choices are limited. Broadvoice.com and voicepulse.com are two that allow this. There are quite a few outgoing only prepaid services out there. I'm using mutualphone.com and sipphone.com, the former works great, the latter has to much delay for my liking.

As for Vonage, you must FIRST use their box for your primary line. For another $9.99, you can get their soft phone service and they provide the settings so you can use any hardware you want for the second line. This is not to be confused with a second line that will work with their own hardware as a separate fax line for $9.99 extra. (The Vonage branded Linksys PAP2 is really a Sipura 2000, supporting two lines.)

formatting link
Get Your Laptop Its Own Phone Number for Just $9.99/month and Get 500 Local and Long Distance Minutes Included

formatting link
Vonage SoftPhone/Sipura SPA-2000 configuration

Vonage SoftPhone also works great with the Sipura SPA-2000. Configuration information must be entered through the advanced admin pages:

Proxy and Registration Proxy: sphone.vopr.vonage.net Outbound Proxy: 216.115.25.199:5061 Register: Yes Use Outbound Proxy: Yes

Subscriber Information Display Name: Your Name Password: Your Vonage SoftPhone password Auth ID: Your Vonage SoftPhone number User ID: Your Vonage SoftPhone number Use Auth ID: Yes

Dial Plan Dial Plan: (*xx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|xxxxxxxxxxxx.)

Reply to
pleonard

The linksys PAP2 is pretty much a Sipura 2000.

formatting link
Linksys Uses Sipura Technology in New Adaptors

VOXILLA.COM News Report

Networking equipment manufacturer Linksys, based in Irvine, CA and a wholly owned subsidiary of San Jose, CA-based technology giant Cisco Systems, is wading into Voice over IP waters for the first time with two new products: a stand-alone two-port telephone adaptor and a router/firewall/VoIP adaptor.

Curiously, though Cisco manufactures the ATA-186, the first VoIP telephone adaptor on the market and still in wide use today, Linksys chose to base its VoIP adaptors on technology developed by Sipura Technology, one of Cisco?s fiercest rivals in the rapidly growing VoIP Customer Premise Equipment market.

A member of the team behind the two new products ? the standalone PAP2 and the RT31P2 router ? confirms that Linksys ?partnered with Sipura? to develop the products.

The ATA-186 was originally developed by Komodo Technology, which was purchased by Cisco in 2000. Much of the same team behind Sipura were formerly with Komodo and left Cisco to form Sipura in May of last year.

When asked about the Linksys-Sipura relationship, Sherman Scholten, Vice President of Marketing for Sipura Technology, refused to comment.

The voice configuration menu for an early-release PAP2 includes exactly the same prompts delivered by the same voice as the menus for all three Sipura adaptors on the market. The only difference betwen the configuration menus for each company's adaptors is that any reference to Sipura has been removed from the Linksys device.

Each of the products is on sale now at Staples. Ironically, though VoIP service provider Vonage dumped the Cisco ATA-186 for a Motorola VT-1005 VoIP adaptor/router, Staples offer comes bundled with Vonage service.

The PAP2 ($69.98) is functionally identical to the Sipura SPA-2000, though it is housed in a new, larger, form factor. The RT31P2 ($99.98) uses SPA-2000 technology for its two VoIP ports, and looks very similar to other standard Linksys routers.

Reply to
pleonard

Some more info for you:

formatting link
The Sipura (2000 or 3000) should work with these BYOD providers per Voxilla, BroadVoice DialPad Free World Dialup Go2Call Gossiptel iConnectHere inPhonex Musimi Net2Phone Nikotel Sipgate.de Sipgate.co.uk SIPphone Stanaphone Telefin Terracall TrueVoIP VoiceEclipse VoicePulse (Connect or Open Access) VoIPTalk (TelAppliant) Vonage Softphone Account

Reply to
pl

I like and use Grandstream Handy-Tone 286 small 120/220v and is unlocked. Now I added the 486. I can travel and move them.

Carlos

Reply to
Carlos

Thank you all for your detailed replies.

Wiggling

Reply to
wiggling

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.