extending analog pbx port

Hi --

I'd like to extend an analog pbx station port from the office to my home. It should work like an off prem extension, that is when I go off hook at home, I should get pbx dial tone... when someone calls the extension, my analog phone at home should ring .

I know there are a lot of boxes out there that do this, but they are hundreds if not thousands of bucks... I'm wondering if there's an inexpensive solution (as I'm paying for this on my own).

Thanks in advance! Dave

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III
Loading thread data ...

You can try a pair of Sipura SPA-3000's. One of the canonical examples they have in their FAQ's is how to set up the dialplan to do a "hotline". Eg. when you pick up one phone it automatically calls the some number. You can use that at the PBX-connected sipura to call your remote sipura whenever a call comes in. The remote sipura would be setup normally, with the pbx-connected one designated its outgoing sip gateway. For a bit of added simplicity I'd be sure to get two identical fxo/fxs units. You'll be screwing around with enough tricky settings in the units without having to worry about learning two totally different command sets. (There are probably other FXO/FXS units that can do the job too. I'm only familiar with the Sipura unit.)

I have a SPA-3000 that I use to feed a POTS line into my asterisk (PBX). It works, but the reality of POTS lines is that it is impossible to feed them into a VOIP system without either causing a problem with reduced volume or if you crank the volume up, without introducing a bit of echo. If your pbx outputs a digital signal (PRI or BRI) this is probably the way you want to go. There are quite a few universities that have hooked their old PBX to either Cisco equipment or asterisk/SER and use SIP to connect things. In their case the goal is also to be able to connect to their PBX over the net, but only for the purpose of calling the users on their pbx. The setups should be similar enough that the configuration examples might prove useful.

formatting link

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Hi ...

I read a review of the 3000, and it stated that as the 3000's only support SIP, they have to register with a SIP server. The review also said that configuring the dial plan was not for the average teleworker.

Do I have to use an outside SIP box to support these?

Thanks Dave

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bonnet.wsrcc.com...

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III

I don't believe you will need an outside SIP server in order to make a simple "hotline" service. You only need to setup a call between the two units and they have enough smarts in the dialplan to do that themselves.

It is nice to have an ntp server and dhcp server so the units will set the time automatically and set their IP addresses automatically, but even that, I believe, is optional.

The dialplan itself is only part of the joy. It's only a one-line entry. The intimidating part is first seeing the pages and pages of other crap that you can configure (but for the most part, don't have to). It is not out of the realm of what someone interested in tinkering with technical things can handle. The biggest challenge is just not being scared away by the sheer number of entries that can be tinkered.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

gratias... the Sipura units are certainly in my price range... guess it wont hurt to try a pair.

merry christmas / happy holidays!

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bonnet.wsrcc.com...

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III

Hi ...

I emailed Sipra tech support... I received an answer in hours...

Dear Valued Sipura Customer,

Thank you for contacting Sipura Technical Support.

Both SPA-3000's and the routers that are connected to need to have a static WAN ip address OR so you can always know your ip address. Your routers should be configured to allow the SIP ports 5060 and 5061 and foeward these two on your SPA-3000's and should be "SIP friendly". Enable Make and receive calls without registration on both SPA-3000's and set the User ID and SIP Port on line 1 and PSTN line to unique numbers on both SPA-3000's. Enable Voip and PSTN gateways on both spa's, spa2 - Enable VoIP Caller Auth Method: PIN, Define the VoIP Caller 1 PIN: This PIN will be requested when you want to gain access to the pstn line. At this point from the spa1 you can dial #2 and the spa2 answer with some beeps (asking you for the PIN) then after you enter a correct pin, you will hear dial tone on the spa2.

*** I take it from this I have to use a PIN to access dial tone from the pbx... is this for security?

Thanks! Dave

Reply to
Henry Cabot Henhouse III

Adding a PIN would be a way to prevent incoming (or outgoing) calls without the user touch-toning some a secret key. If you wanted all calls transparently relayed to the other side, I'd think you wouldn't really want this. Also, from a security standpoint, unless the PIN is very long (say well over 6 digits), it isn't going to do much to stop a computerized attack. It just isn't going to take that long for a computer to try all 3, 4 or 5 number PINS. Trying all 6 number PINS probably only takes a week or two.

To stop a determined attacker from making outgoing calls via your pbx you'll want to add md5/http-digest authentication to the internet side of the pbx-connected sipura. Just choose 32 randomly chosen letters and numbers for your md5 password. Load that password into both of your sipuras and you should be safe enough.

One thing I forgot to mention is there are a number of forums where folks that like to hack their sipura's hang out. Most of them seem to have thought about this sort of stuff for much longer than I have.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

Don't provide a way to do it. Seriously, if all you're doing is 'remoting' an extension then setup a fixed dialing plan for it. Such that all connections go to/from only the two fixed connections. You could setup the unit at the house to understand how to treat certain calls as local. But if this is work-related then you might just be better off using it as a second line on a two-line phone at home. That way anyone else in the house can pickup line 1 and use it as expected. Line 2 would be the work line and probably only available on certain extensions.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

and the best way to join a voip and pstn service is the combine-a-line... the unit works all over the world and solves he problem of voip and pstn ports being in different places. you acan join al your favorite single line telco gear, like phone, answering system and even modem onto the combine a-line and then one side to voip and the other to pstn. then you have a powerful suite of tolls and automatic switching for your communication set=up..

Marco

formatting link

Reply to
Marc Popek

ditto

formatting link

formatting link
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Reply to
Marc Popek

ditto Marc

formatting link

formatting link
e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

combine-a-line...

formatting link
> e=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Reply to
Marc Popek

try this!

formatting link

COMBINE-A-LINE ?? IMAGINE

?.1=2

Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering machine, or PC Modem on TWO phone lines??. Automatically?

OR

How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack into a single handset?

OR

How about joining TWO VOIP ports into a single handset, answering machine, or PC Modem?

USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as well!

OR

see if anybody picks-up, on another line trunk, after you are already in a call??? A visual real-time security feedback feature!

THEN...........................................

Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your home office or for the family

Reply to
LVMarc

try this!

formatting link

COMBINE-A-LINE ?? IMAGINE

?.1=2

Ever wish you could use your favorite single-line telephone, answering machine, or PC Modem on TWO phone lines??. Automatically?

OR

How about joining your VOIP port and the plain old (PSTN) telephone jack into a single handset?

OR

How about joining TWO VOIP ports into a single handset, answering machine, or PC Modem?

USE a CLT to join a card card acceptor and your single line telephone as well!

OR

see if anybody picks-up, on another line trunk, after you are already in a call??? A visual real-time security feedback feature!

THEN...........................................

Combine-A-Line (CLT) allows two separate calls from two different lines to be directed to your single line telephone equipment or PC. Centralizing and PROTECTING (SURGE PROTECTION INSIDE) your communication equipment for your home office or for the family

Reply to
LVMarc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.