move the DVC box behind the router

I have my VOIP (Innomedia DVC with Phonom) working great in the "supported" configuration: DSL modem, then DVC (configured with static IP), then wireless router (configured as a DHCP client). Internet and phone work great. However, I recently tried using VPN and the VPN isn't connecting.

I suspected the DVC was causing the VPN problem so I tried taking out the DVC. To get my Internet connection to work after taking out the DVC I had to change the router configuration from DHCP client to static IP. Well that did fix my VPN.

Now to get my VOIP working again. I thought I could put the DVC "behind" the router (i.e. switch the position of the router and the DVC from what I had before). I configured the DVC to be a DHCP client instead of a static IP. However, while all the lights were normal, I couldn't get a dial tone. I tried calling Phonom and they said while they believe it is possible to do what I'm trying, they won't give me any help with it. Anything I may be forgetting?

Reply to
Larry
Loading thread data ...

Never mind, I figured it out, through some Google searching. Now I feel bad I was yelling at the Phonom guy so much. I was so sure that I needed his help to configure the DVC box differently, when it was really the router that I needed to configure. I think the guy knew what the problem was but wasn't allowed to tell me, because it wasn't "supported", and he was doing his best to hint to me, but I wasn't getting it. Every sentence he said was "router, router, router" and I kept yelling back "the router is working fine! DVC, DVC, DVC!"

Anyway, what I had to do was go into the port forwarding on the router and forward UDP ports 6025 and 2427 to a certain static address that would be in the DHCP range of the router, but on the high end (to make sure no computers on my network would get assigned that same IP address if they hapenned to connect while my DVC was not connected). Since my router's DHCP server starts at 192.168.1.100 with a limit of 50 clients, I chose 192.168.1.140 for the forwarding. Then I went into the DVC and changed it back to static IP but this time put

192.168.1.140 instead of the external IP that it used to have. Now I have internet, VPN and dial tone.

I still wish Phonom would have just told me to forward those ports.

Reply to
Larry

Even thought I got it to work, I'm still curious as to what exactly the DVC box was doing that interfered with my VPN, considering that the router doesn't interfere. It seems like the DVC box should act very similarly to a router, from the point of view of the DVC's "LAN" socket.

Reply to
Larry

Some routers have options to allow VPN passthru. Your DVC box likely does not.

Reply to
Onion Knight

Interesting... where can I look in my router config to see that?

Reply to
Larry

Never mind... I found it... it's under Security -> VPN. By default it enables all 3 "passthrough" options in this section (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP).

Reply to
Larry

I wrote up network diagrams for how I solved this problem. Would it be helpful (or even possible) to post them here? I don't have much experience with posting binary data on newsgroups.

Reply to
Larry

Could you please post this diagram?

I'm trying to do what is said here but can't seem to get it to work. Right now I have things set up as: modem -> router -> wan on DVC

Ports have been forwarded and I changed the IP of the DVC in the IP Network\\Interface Settings\\External Port menu to 192.168.1.45 . The Gateway and DNS are both 192.168.1.1 and my router has been set to take over the IP of the DVC (66.173.xxx.xxx). This is the only place I've changed things. Also, I can access the DVC over the network via 192.168.1.45(via wan). Unfortunately I can only get the DSL working and no dial tone.

Am I doing something wrong here? All I want is my DVC behind my router because the DVC creates connection problems for me.

Reply to
tomcabbit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.