Setting up a router behind the PIX 501

I am setting up a router behind the PIX 501. I will use a Linksys router and I will have a switched hub hooked up to it with the network computers and one network printer. I have not done this before and I have very little time to get this up and running before the client goes with a different company. I would appreciate any help that could be offered to help me complete this project. This project was given to me by my employer after 3 other people failed to install it and have it work correctly. I'm a little green at setting these up, so any help would be great!

It was my understanding that the PIX 501 can only have one inside interface and one outside interface. So when I hook the router up, it would have to be set up on the inside interface and have a device IP address with a 0.X. This is what it looks like so far: the PIX inside address is 192.168.0.123. The Linksys device address is 192.168.0.1. The PIX is the DHCP server which hands out addresses from 124-155. The network printer is 0.90. My question is how do I set up the PIX and the router so it will allow the VPN users to connect remotely to the PIX and see the computers behind the PIX 501. I am using PPTP for the remote users to connect to the VPN.

The Linksys has the following information:

-- Setup -- Host Name: blank Domain Name: blank Lan IP Address: 192.168.0.1 [Device IP address] 255.255.255.0 Subnet Mask WAN Connection Type: DHCP

-- DHCP -- DHCP Server: Disable

-- Dynamic Routing -- Working Mode: Router [other choice is Gateway] Dynamic Routing: TX: RIP1 RX: RIP1

-- Static Routing -- Static Routing 192.168.0.123 Destination LAN IP 192.168.0.123 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.123 Hop Count: 1 Interface: LAN

-- Filters -- no filters being used

-- Forwarding -- Ext. Port [6500 - 7000] Protocol [TCP] (can use UDP) IP Address [192.168.0.90] Enable [X]

**for the Network Printer

-- DMZ Host -- DMZ Host IP Address: 192.168.0.0

**Should this be 0.123?

-- DDNS -- Disabled

Reply to
Jenn
Loading thread data ...

Hi jenn, Give me few more information to completely understand your scanerio:

1) is that Linksys router based on DSL or DDS ? 2) iSP is providing Static or dynamic IP's ? 3) your customer want to fire a printing job from internet to a local LAN printer ?? 4) Which model of Linksys router ?

send me infos and I will definitely help you out.

regards, pushkar

Reply to
PushkarBhatkoti

The router is the Linksys BEFVP 41, but if we get it working we will probably take it out and put in a more basic router. The ISP is providing static IP's for the DSL connection. The customer wants to be able to use the network printer in the office as well as being able to access it through the VPN connection. Something that I found interesting is that I cannot ping the network printer with my computer, but I can ping it through the PDM.

The current setup is as follows: [Remote User] --> [Firewall] --> [DSL] --> {Internet}

Reply to
Jenn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.