DHCP and Fixed IP

Hi group

I have a fixed IP WiFi and Wired Network i.e. DHCP is disabled I'd also like to roam does this mean I must manually alter the TCP/IP settings each time I wish to roam? i.e enable DHCP again.

Is there an application or XP tool to allow multiple types of set-ups?

URL's or feedback welcome. TIA

Reply to
Mr User
Loading thread data ...

You can leave the DHCP client enabled even if you're not using it; that would save one step.

My R51 Thinkpad came with an IBM-supplied network management app which does that, and the after-market Orinoco WiFi card in my old TP600E came with a similar utility; are you sure you don't already have one?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Windows XP Network Properties, TCP/IP - "Alternate configuration".

formatting link
it can't find DHCP, it uses this page.

There are other tools, but this one is built in to winXP.

If you need multiple configurations (beyond DHCP and a fallback) you might add the Boingo.com handler. It doesn't require a Boingo subscription to work, but adds more properties to multiple WiFi connections.

Reply to
dold

Thanks I like the idea of alternate config but might give this Boingo a go too. I used in the past a small app called IPswitch for fixed LAN's. Cheers

Reply to
Mr User

Don't think that's possible with this router/switch. Tis one or other.

Nope I'm certain it's an old Netgear 802.11b router. I have a 802.11g due for delivery so was just testing the setup.

Thanks though :)

Reply to
Mr User

Excellent works seamlessly :) Thanks saved me a headache.

Reply to
Mr User

Mr User hath wroth:

Yeah, but it only works for one system with a static IP.

For more than one, I use:

At one time, I had something like 50 saved setting for each of my customers. It's not just the IP address that needs to changed every time I change location. There's the SMTP server for email, the various network printers, alternative protocols (NETBEUI, Novell), VPN's, and static routes to remote offices. Every time I pickup a new customer, I add a new configuration for their network.

One catch. The license is for $20/year. It continues to work after the year expires, but no updates. I'm running on a 5 year old version without problems or surprises.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Currently that's all I need :)

That's the one I was trying to remember but thought it was IPswitcher .. anyway a very useful LAN app and at $20 it a bargain.

Thanks a useful reminder.

Reply to
Mr User

snipped-for-privacy@home.com (Mr User) wrote in news:xSdrh.84648$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

Not at the router, but in your PC. You can always leave the DHCP server running in the router, and you can have the DHCP client (Windows service) running on your PC even if you're not using it at the moment.

Again, I'm talking about software on your PC. I'm assuming that you're talking about a Windows XP laptop.

With the IBM/Lenovo "Access Connections" application, I can have mutiple profiles which describe the network configuration, including static or dynamic addressing, WEP, WPA or no encryption, etc. I simply select the config that matches my current situation and it's all taken care of.

The utility that came with my Orinoco WiFi card that I use in my older laptop has similar capabilities.

I just assumed that other vendors supplied similar utilities.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

That's the point I can either have DHCP running or static addressing on the router NOT both. All the PC's on the wired LAN have static IP's.

Dold wrote: Windows XP Network Properties, TCP/IP - "Alternate configuration".

formatting link
This works perfectly for my XP Laptop (WiFi). It'll first roam giving me the option to connect to WiFi Hotspots then acquire the alternate config i.e. static IP that I defined. Works great!

Yes, Windows XP Laptop with Netgear MA401 Card and MA314 Router (802.11b). I RMA's both items twice before they actually worked. No additional software was provided. It was tough enough getting drivers/firmware to worked with XP in the first place.

They may do now but that router is ~4 years old :( Hence new one on the way :)

Reply to
Mr User

I'd be happy to provide you a copy of my IPChanger software for free.

formatting link
Please get in contact with me if you want it.

Chris Hutchison snipped-for-privacy@netsteady.cc

Reply to
NetSteady

Mr User hath wroth:

There are other competing products. IpSwitcher is one of them:

formatting link
price. I tried it years ago but ran into some long forgotten obscure problem that couldn't be resolved. I've been happy with Netswitcher for a long time and have found no reason to try others. I do recall that there was a free program that did roughly the same thing, but have been unable to recall or find the name.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

More: WinChanger IP Shifter IP Changer ChangeIP

busy. no time to list URL. Use Google..

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That just sounds weird - DHCP vs Static - at the router...

Normally, the DHCP server on the router merely hands out IP addresses from a pool... The End -

How an IP address is "supported" on the router has never been limited ??? Either Static or DHCP pool.

Right now - my main desktop PC is Static, while all the laptops are DHCP configured.

Reply to
P.Schuman

Mmm I conclude maybe you're correct and it's my understanding that's been flawed.

On re-thinking this you're entirely correct as I could have left

192.168.0.1-10 for static IP's the started the DHCP pool addressing from 192.168.0.11. Thanks for the response I've learned something new today :)
Reply to
Mr User

BTW - there are 255 addresses within this particular address range, but you can't use the first .000 and the last .255

SO - unless you have a zillion DHCP devices, you can start at the normal .100 or .150 range and still keep things nice and orderly -

I have my DHCP at .150, and all the static IP types are in different groups at the lower addresses at .100, with all "network & AP" devices at the very lowest addresses; .2, .3, .4, etc

Reply to
P.Schuman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.