Dlink DSL-502G DHCP Server x Windows XP Professional SP2

Hi,

I´m facing an annoying problem with a Dlink DSL-502G and Windox XP SP2. Everything seems to be working ok, except the DHCP server. The Dlink is working as a router, and yes, the DHCP server is enabled. I am using NAT (including NAT RDR rules to use eMule), IP filter, firewall e everything is working fine. The XP configuration is trivial, there is nothing to do, just tell it to obtain an IP automatically, but when the machine is booted with this configuration it just do not get an IP address, I must use a static IP. By the way, the ethernet interface is the onboard 10/100MB/s on a NF7-S v2.0 Abit motherboard.

Any tips about what is going on here ?

TIA,

Luis Bravo snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
eduardo.bravo
Loading thread data ...

I´m facing an annoying problem with a Dlink DSL-502G and Windox XP SP2. Everything seems to be working ok, except the DHCP server. The Dlink is working as a router, and yes, the DHCP server is enabled. I am using NAT (including NAT RDR rules to use eMule), IP filter, firewall e everything is working fine. The XP configuration is trivial, there is nothing to do, just tell it to obtain an IP automatically, but when the machine is booted with this configuration it just do not get an IP address, I must use a static IP. By the way, the ethernet interface is the onboard 10/100MB/s on a NF7-S v2.0 Abit motherboard.

Any tips about what is going on here ?

TIA,

I have heard of locking a Ethernet port at 10 or 100mb rather than autospeed can cure this at times. Other people have tried a different cable with success, yes one can be partially defective.

I know it sounds a little silly but give this a try anyway if you have not already tried it.

1) Shut down your computer completely and power it off. 2) Power off your DLink. 3) Turn the power on ONLY to the Dlink and wait for all of the standard lights to stabilize, I usually try and wait 3 to 5 minutes. 4) Power on the computer and see if it gets an IP address after Windows is loaded.

If none of this helps I'm sure someone else around here will be able to help you out.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

"eduardo.bravo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Is your firewall allowing DHCP traffic? Off hand I don't remember which ports DHCP uses but when I did use DHCP I had to allow those ports in my firewall.

Reply to
Some One

Hi,

I want to thank you all for your suggestions but an idea just came to my mind right know. When I installed XP I spend some time hardening the system, so I disabled some services I didn`t use. I am pretty sure one of this services is, guess what, "DHCP client" :) ! I am not home right now, so I can´t verify if "DHCP client" is disabled, but I am certain my "problem" is it.

Once again thank you for your reply.

Reply to
eduardo.bravo

As i suspected, my "problem" was just the "DHCP client" service disable :). But in the end I kept a static IP configuration because I have an incoming NAT rule at the router redirecting eMule ports to my invalid address, so I need to be sure I will always get the same IP address.

Regards,

eduardo.bravo wrote:

Reply to
eduardo.bravo

Ports 67, 68

Reply to
Sleepless in Seattle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.