Cordless phone problem

Do you have a wireless router? How far from the TA is the cordless base?

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

I had a similar problem without the VOIP. In my case, everytime I used the cordless phone, my wireless network would die. I got a different brand cordless phone and the problem disapeared.

You need to keep in mind that wireless routers and cordless phones use the same frequency.

Yaser

Reply to
Yaser Doleh

The OP was using "Vonage". But you make a good point about frequency usage in different countries.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

I tried to use a Panasonic 5.8 GHz cordless phone with Vonage box, and then with the Sipura 2100. It shows the same problem with both, that when I speak loudly into the handset, the person on the other end can hardly hear anything. However I can hear the other person fine.

It is not a problem of the VOIP ATA itself, because a corded phone works fine. It is not a problem of the Panasonic cordless phone itself, because with a POTS line it works fine. Rather it is a problem of the VOIP ATA / Panasonic cordless combination, but what is really strange is that the problem existed with the Vonage Motorola adapter, and still exists with the Sipura 2100.

Vonage couldn't figure out what was wrong. I read on their website some mention that people were having trouble with cordless phone using Vonage ATA, but no mention of why.

So... why would this happen, and what can be done to fix it? Besides getting a different cordless phone?

Reply to
omni
[snip]

Not here (UK) they don't. Routers use the same 2.4 GHz band as other devices such as wireless CCTV cameras but the digital cordless phones in use here use frequencies somewhere in the 860 MHz band I believe. I've not come across a phone (or a router, or anything else for that matter) using

5.8 GHz here.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

It is possible for their frequency generators to interfere with one another - remote, but possible. Try placing them all as far apart as possible and test that. Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Reply to
Budwich

The wireless router, cordless base and ATA are next to each other. I don't see why it should matter, since wifi is 2.4 GHz (?). Anyway, I can hear what the other person is saying, they can't hear my voice clearly.

It's a Panasonic cordless if that makes any difference.

Reply to
omni

Vonage is available in UK. Op may in fact be in UK.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

This sounds the most promising explanation, because the phone works fine with POTS line, and a corded phone works fine with the ATA.

Solution, get a different phone.

Reply to
omni

For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless phone. 802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

I've found that Uniden cordless phones work very well with the Vonage ATAs. Only problem is that thhe 5.8GHz FHSS models all come with answering machines which of course won't get any use under Vonage (and the non-answering machine units are all analog, which I would never use). They do have a DSS 2.4GHz basic cordless phone though, model DCT646, that plays well with the wifi network in my house, so you may want to try it.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

I have never heard of any cordless phone using 5.8 GHz. Can you give me a website of anyone selling these..? All digital cordless phones in the UK at least use 2.4 GHz.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Go to

formatting link

In the search box put: 5.8 ghz

At least that works from Malaysia, where they show us the US version of Amazon by default.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

formatting link
It may be that 5.8GHz is licensed spectrum in the UK/EU, and so such phones might not be available there.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof: This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:

formatting link
However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns out it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
formatting link

Reply to
Bob

From the manual ...

TRANSMIT FREQUENCY Base: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz Handset: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz

RECEIVE FREQUENCY Base: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz Handset: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz

802.11b Channel 1 = 2412MHz 802.11b Channel 11 = 2462MHz

Reply to
R-Guy

Thanks Bob and r-guy for backing up my suggestion, but I would guess that the OP isn't listening!-)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.