USB SIP Phone - HELP

I'm looking for a USB phone with SIP, that does NOT need any software for a computer to download, .ie...I can walk up to any broadband computer plug in the phone and get dial tone.

I see that there are Wi-fi phones out that allows you to connect like this today, but they seem to skip over the USB version.

Does anyone know of any phones ?

Reply to
Andeas
Loading thread data ...

I think the problem is that you are asking to plug into a USB port on a random computer that is probably not set up to act as a router to put the device on the Internet. There are routers with USB ports, but Ethernet is much more common.

Reply to
John McHarry

Impossible. The USB phone will always be only a hardware part of the solution that uses a "softphone" or, in other words, a piece of software to operate. Unless, of course, Microsoft decides to build SIP protocol into their next version of Win and get a piece of this VoIP pie by offering the service to Win users (why wouldn't they?). But then, again, it will only work in Win environment the way you wanted it.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

??

Where do I get information on these?

Reply to
Bad Bubba

If you intend to attach to a computer's USB port to obtain connections out into the world without supporting software or configurations in the PC I can inform you that such a device does not exist, because no PC operating systems supports this.

Some Linux variants ship with such code; but it must be explicitly turned on by the system administrator; as it would be a large security hole to open such connections without authorization.

No windows version currently ships with such software; although you can talk only through browser software.

No, but I know of several other solutions that can help you obtain similar objectives; e.g. a device that connects to Ethernet anywhere and gives you a port with dialtone. I even sell such things; as well as dialtone. I will not make further commercials here, but anyone here can feel free to inquire within an E-mail.

To reach me despite the spambots replace the appropriate first and last name, and de-biff the digits back to letters in the e-mail below.

Best regards,

Morten Reistad

Reply to
Morten Reistad

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.