Compatibility of Star configuration telephone network to broadband

Hopefully someone can help me on this one.

I have been asked by a business associate of mine to setup a virtual PBx telephone service for his business. I have came to the conclusion that for his monthly cost to be substantially lowered, his whole system should be using his current Comcast broadband line. At the moment his office is setup in a Star configuration (PBx) with 4 business lines, 2 home lines and a dedicated fax line. I would like to transfer his current setup to be on Vonage or something similar but I don't know how easy or difficult this will be. My main question is can I get a router or some type of hardware that will work with his current sytem and convert it to run on broadband?....meaning that his current configuration doesn't have to really be affected and minimum hardware changes to be made.

This is the first time I have been asked to do this type of thing so apologies for my wording which may be confusing to some. Hopefully someone out there knows what I mean.

Thanks in advance, Peter

Reply to
Peter
Loading thread data ...

Hopefully you are considering the amount of bandwidth required - both downstream and upstream.

Reply to
Justin Time

It is my understanding that 90Kbp/s upstream/downstream is required per line and that the current line is a high speed line provided by Comcast. This is sufficient for the services required as after consulting with my client it is very unlikely that all lines will be in use at the same time and if they were, the current internet service would anyway, be sufficient. Again my question is that would it be possible to use his current telephone system with the broadband internet connection??....and if so, what hardware will be required????

Any help on this matter will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Peter

You can use less that 90Kbps without suffering too much loss of quality.

As to how you'd get this into the telephone system - the terminal adapter provided by VOIP for residential use presents two standard loop- start lines out of the Linksys RT31P2 that I've got. So you could just wire those to analog loop-start lines on the system, if they exist.

If you're talking about bringing in a BRI, you'd either need a BRI adapter or card for the system, or a channel bank arrangement to convert the digital into loop-start lines for your system.

Reply to
Tony P.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.