Verizon's computer is confused [telecom]

I'm in the process of writing a story about Verizon's prepaid cellular offering, and in the process of researching the service, I bought and registered a pre-paid cell phone.

This afternoon, I got a text message from Verizon Mobile Code Number

86583: it said -

VZW Free Msg. This cell phone number is now unregistered from My Verizon. If you feel that this is an error, please call customer service. Received 12:48 PM

I haven't been on Verizon Mobile's web site since December, when I changed to automatic payments in order to get a $5/month discount on my bill. I have a PIN set, and "secret" questions that are supposed to prevent tampering with the account.

I called Verizon Mobile, and a man named Carlos told me that I had "deregistered" the account back in December, and read me a lot of scripts intended to oh-so-subtly inform me that it was my fault and that there wasn't anything Verizon would do about it. Carlos told me to re-register my phone at the "my Verizon" site, and we said goodbye after he read me a not-quite-apology about how sorry Verizon is that I'm having troulbe. They, or course, are doing fine: *I* am having trouble.

I will go to "my Verizon" and enter my details again, and Verizon will have another month of extra profit because *my* deregistration will void the automatic payment credit.

I welcome comments from readers whom have had similar experiences.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Horne
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.