VZW And My Phone [telecom]

Okay, my dilemma: On Thursday evening at 10:15pm I got a phone call from someone. I took it and talked for awhile. I then walked into a friend's home where I was until 3:00am. That location was about 2 blocks from a large VZW cell site. I then drove home a number of blocks, through probably 3 other cell sites.

The following day, Friday, I've received no phone calls until 5:30pm. My friend called me to ask if I'd gotten a voicemail message from him. No, nothing has registered on my phone. He had left it at 4:10pm when I didn't answer the phone.

I had been in an area with excellent cell reception all day. I phoned my voicemail and got the reverse of what I usually get. The voicemail said, "A message is about to expire" and then offered to play it for me. I deleted it. The voice then said, "You have one new message." I played it. It was from

4:10pm.

So, since I didn't get either the phone call nor the voicemail notification from Verizon Wireless, I phoned their customer service number. The helpful guy, Derek in Los Angeles did a little research and told me that their records show my phone was "not registered" between 10:15pm Thursday night at 5:30pm Friday. The term means that either my phone was off or I was out of cell range.

And yet my phone was on constantly throughout the entire time. The clock that shows up on my phone was working (this is what I use for a watch) since I referred to it several times, and if I'm out of range, the clock won't show up after about 10 minutes out of the area.

AND GET THIS: At about 3:10pm Friday I had made a phone call. I had accidentlly hit speed dial and called entry #9 on my list. I immediately hung up as soon as I heard the ring. But VZW doesn't show that my phone was "registered on the network" during that time!

This morning (Saturday) at about 1:00am I phoned VZW to see if they could look up my phone and see if I was offline this evening, since I was within about 2 blocks of where I had been the previous night and during approximately the same hours. The guy this time at VZW (in Florida I think) told me he had no way of looking up my account info to see if my phone was online or not. He asked his supervisor and they also said that there was no way to find whether I was "registered" or not.

I decided to remove the phone battery, wait a few minutes, reinsert it and restart it given that I've had a couple incidents in the past week where I have gotten email messages from calls I otherwise should have gotten.

WHAT I'M ASKING HERE is if anybody here has experienced a similar kind of thing and if anybody knows what to ask for (in official bureaucratic terms) if I want to find out whether my phone was "registered" with the VZW network at a particular time. Or is there a page on their "My Verizon" website that may have that info for me?

My phone is a constant bit rate SCH-a650, which I don't want to turn loose unless it's truly broken, so I'm hoping it's a network problem or a software glitch solved by the battery removal and replacement.

Anybody?

Reply to
David Kaye
Loading thread data ...

What is the best source for a lookup table of USA area codes and exchanges matched to zip codes?

I prefer working with dbf files but can work with just about anything. I've seen a few web sites offering the information for download for anywhere from $600 - $1000 USD. Anything free out there or a better deal than what I have found?

Steve N2UBP

Reply to
Steve Stone

A map company, I believe it's spelled Deloran, published a street map CD-ROM that has a database that may be what you're seeking.

However, be advised that zip codes do not align with telephone exchange boundaries or even municipal boundaries. Everything overlaps in a crazy quilt manner, that is, one exchange district could serve multiple zip codes (and municipalities), and one zip code could serve multiple telephone exchange districts.

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.