[telecom] Strange how account security is one way

I recently had a number of people complain to me that my cell phone voice mail wasn't working. I tried to access my mailbox and it didn't exist. I called 6-1-1 and they refused to talk to me. Why? My wife is technically the account holder. Even though she's designated me as being allowed to access the account information, they still needed to talk to her. This makes absolutely no sense to me. If she's told them I can talk to them, that should suffice. Instead I had to have a conversation with the support technician via my wife. This is the second cell phone company that has done this. Yes, I agree, they can't just talk to anybody. But in the store and on the phone she has said they can talk to me. They acknowledge this, but claim they still can only discuss account information with her. Now hold that thought.

Here's what happened to my cell phone service. I am entitled to an upgrade. Someone in California decided to upgrade his/her phone using my upgrade. This person then returned the phone. When my upgrade was returned to me it wiped out my features. They have absolutely no explanation why this was allowed to happen.

So, in summary. They will not allow me to discuss anything about our account. But they will let a complete stranger in another state use my phone upgrade.

John

Reply to
John Mayson
Loading thread data ...

That sounds strange. Our personal phones are in my wife's name with Sprint, and I talk to them, all the time, all I need to do is answer a couple of questions and give the account password and I can do anything including upgrading and buying stuff for the phone. My work phone, paid for by my employer with another company.

Reply to
Steven

Quoting John Mayson

John, I think you're beginning to understand that cellphone companies (and banks and other big companies) have all of these rules in place to ensure and protect their profits--not you. Don't think for a second that they care about you or your wife. BTW, which mobile carrier do you use?

-Ed

Reply to
bernies

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.