Re: VOIP: Internet Telephone Question

I just recently signed up for telephone service through my cable

> company (It is supposed to be installed Tuesday, December 5.) Other > than my cable company, I had considered services such as Vonage and > Sunrocket. > After I signed up with my cable company, I was thinking and had the > following question: Is it possible to subscribe to two different VOIP > telephone services at the same time and be able to use either of them > whenever you want? In other words, after I port my current telephone > number to my cable company and start with their service, what if I > decide I need another line later and want to try another company for > the new line, say Vonage, Sunrocket, or another one of my choice, for > example? > What would be involved with doing this, especially if I don't have an > active landline? Would I need to go through my local telephone > company and have them install a new telephone line and then once it is > working, transfer the telephone service for the new line to Vonage, > Sunrocket, or some other provider of my choice? Would it be possible > to have two VOIP lines with two separate VOIP providers utilizing the > same high speed cable modem connection? > Just curious if this would be possible. > Thanks, > Korey

It's thinkable, but you don't want to do that. Both would still be dependent on your ISP/HSI provider. (Better to have a land line as backup.)

Second, your VoIP provider can give y0u a single ATA (analog telephone adapter) with two lines! Much simpler and it can handle the QoS issues better (Quality of Service: which line gets priority ...)

Reply to
Rick Merrill
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.