Question: PSTN to VoIP gateway options

I'm looking to be able to connect two offices (very low call volume) in separate towns with one POTS line over VoIP using Asterix.

My original plan was to use one of the countless X101P PCI cards that are on eBay to connect a computer running Asterix to the local POTS service, and then use an ATA in the the other town so both offices are using the same POTS line.

I heard quite a few horror stories regarding the clone x101p cards and the digium cards are cost prohibitive for us so the next middle ground is to use the external gateways such as:

- VP168I (Gnet's VOIP IAX2 GATEWAY WITH 1 X FXS 1 X PSTN & 1 X WAN)

- Sipura's SPA-3000 Analog Telephone Adapter

- Linksys SPA3102 VoIP Router SIPV2 1FXO 1RJ-11 PHONE/FAX with 2PT Switch

Gateway: refers to any of the three external boxes mentioned above - my terminology may be incorrect but this is to just to clarify what I'm referring to

My new plan is to use one of the gateways to act as the FXO for the Asterix system and the FXS port on the gateway as my ATA to the PBX for the analog phone in office 1, then another ATA in office 2 with STUN/SIP to connect to Office #1's PBX.

Asterix will be handling extension calls between offices (so we don't tie up the line talking to each other) and the voicemail feature.

note: From gateway to PBX will be on the same LAN, though through the internet from PBX to Office #2

Any suggestions on hardware? From what I've read if the Gnet actually _does_ act as a gateway the IAX2 may work better for talking directly to the Asterix system.

Reply to
Qapla'!
Loading thread data ...

Sorry to ask a silly question, but isn't "POTS over VoIP" an oxymoron?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Aren't PSTN and POTS the same thing?

I picture VoIP as a means to carry PSTN

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think he misplaced his modifier :) Seriously, I think it is just poor wording on his part.

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

I'll have a shot of whiskey next time I proof read - that should solve the problem ;-)

Reply to
Steve

AFAIK, it depends on the chipset (the X100P were better than the X101P) and the country where the card is used (read the cards were built for the US telephone network, ie. impendence of 600 ohm). The experts will correct me.

I can recommend that one. No echo, works fine as a POTS-to-VoIP gateway. I prefer PCI cards because that's less cables lying around, but a Digium with just a single FXO module costs $150.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

I would predict (refrain from assuming) that Canada's POTS would be quite close in comparison to the US - will keep that as an option

Thanks Vincent for the recommendation on one of the listed hardware, although I am still planning to go external mainly because the machine I am considering to purchase will be a mini-itx (no PCI) that I saw in the classifieds for under CAN$60 ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'm also looking into building a mini-Itx for use with Asterisk.

FYI, Travla's C156 can take a PCI card and a 2.5" if you don't need a DVD/CDRW combo (I have to check if Via motherboards can boot off a USB drive); If you really need a DVD/CDRW, the bigger, thicker C138 can handle both.

formatting link

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Here is a link to the est voip pstn lifeline adapter

formatting link

Reply to
LVMarc

formatting link

Does this meet the need of the OP? I don't think it does, but maybe I'm missing it..

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.