QOS VOIP - Hosted IP PBX Provider

Hi,

Cisco 1720 router with 1 internet T1 to a IP PBX hosted provider. I am having constant dropped calls, choppy, echoes, backup noises and clipped calls when using the IP phone. I would like to implement QOS on router, and am wondering if this will help. Hosted provider is using MGCP and g.721 compression. The T1 line is mostly idle and used very little for anything other than web surfing and phone calls.T1 line is error free and IP PBX provider checked and claim nothing is wrong on their end.

Does anyone have a sample QOS configuration that may work? or point me to the right direction where I may obtain more information.

IP hosted PBX provider -----Internet Cloud -----Cisco 1720--- Firewall-------Switch---SIP IP phones..

Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ENTBASE-M), Version

12.3(8)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Technical Support:
formatting link
(c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Wed 10-Aug-05 19:07 by dchih

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
pilotnine
Loading thread data ...

Bill,

If your T1 used not only for telephony, then you definitely need to configure QoS on the router, as well as on your switches, as well as confirm the configuration on the provider side. Here is a great document on all aspects of QoS on Cisco devices (it's "best practices" for Quality of Service).

In general, you must configure QoS on all your devices - the router, LAN switches, phones. For example, if you configured QoS on the router, but your LAN switch strips QoS marking, your QoS will not work. Or if your phone sends other information, than router expects. Here is a list of what you should do:

1. On the Router configure Priority Queuing (page 185)
  2. On the Router configure Traffic Shaping for the voice (pages 206-215) based on number of calls you expect.
  3. On the switch(es) configure CoS trust (pick the section in the menu depending on model of your switch)
  4. Confirm with the provider, what DSCP values do they expect.

Also, since you have a firewall between your LAN and the router, things may become more complicated, since firewalls (except the latest code of Cisco ASA) do not understand and do not conform the QoS settings. So, you may need to re-classify all voice traffic at the router.

Also, if you don't feel comfortable with doing all this stuff yourself, I would advice you to get a consultant, who will do all this changes for you. Believe me, it will be faster and cheaper.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Phoneswww.ciscoheadsetadapter.comwww.headsetadapter.com

Mike,

Thank you for your suggestion. Do you have a URL or the author of the mentioned doc - "Here is a great document on all aspects of QoS on Cisco devices (it's "best practices" for Quality of Service). "

Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
bill the kid

Sorry, forgot to insert the URL:

formatting link
Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Ph>> Bill,

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: : Hi,

: Cisco 1720 router with 1 internet T1 to a IP PBX hosted provider. : I am having constant dropped calls, choppy, echoes, backup noises and : clipped calls when using the IP phone. I would like to implement QOS : on router, and am wondering if this will help.

Don't forget -- QOS on your 1720 only queues things on the egress of your network. Your provider has to provide queuing for the ingress.

A better solution is to buy a bigger pipe, but that isn't always an economical solution.

I sell a hosted PBX product. We try to make sure we also sell the Internet access so that we can control packet flow to the customer premise. It helps us eliminate a number of the quality issues that other hosted companies run into.

We also keep all of our VOIP gear in a single /24, so that customers can prioritize packets in our direction based on IP address. A lot of cheap equipment allows you to priority-queue things based on IP addresses. (Actiontec ADSL equipment comes to mind...)

An old-school Cisco template for priority queueing would look like: ! interface Serial0 priority-group 1 ! access-list 112 permit ip any ! priority-list 1 protocol ip high list 112

This template is likely to work on your 1720 -- but doesn't use the newer modular QOS mechanisms, so is likely to draw ire from many directions.

Reply to
John Osmon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.