VOIP/Vonage/DSL Noob has DSL Questions

Hi,

I'll soon be moving outside the range of local cable broadband and will have to switch to DSL. Will my new Vonage account work over the DSL line while my PC is off? The folks that I know that use DSL must log into their account in order to get Internet access (web browsing, P2P'ing, email, etc). Is the same true for VOIP'ing?

BTW, I've purchased Linksys's WRT54GS "Broadband Router with Speed Booster". Any opinoins on it inconjunction with DSL and VOIP?

Thanks

Reply to
frank
Loading thread data ...

VoiceWing from Verizon uses DSL.

The VoIP TA (telephone adapter) goes between the modem and the router.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Far as I know you'll have to find a way to switch your modem to do PPPoe instead of bridge mode. In other words you modem has to enter the login & password instead of software.

Reply to
ahh

I think you're right. Besides, DSL basicly includes a PSTN, yes? But the cost of LD can be 0 with VoIP.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Thanks guys, very helpful, just the sort of info I was looking for. hadn't thought of the router establishing the connection, and certainly didn't know about the bandwidth limiting feature you speak of. I was wondering about just that sort of thing.

Reply to
frank

It should still continue to work. I would be more worried that if you currently don't have a PSTN line from the phone monopoly that you will be required to have one. I know that in a large area of the country, the phone company won't sell you what is called naked DSL.

As for how it works with DSL, one of two different ways to set it up usually. 1) Attach your LinkSys router to the DSL device and configure your router to log into the DSL PPPoE. Then, attach your VoIP ATA to the router. In addition, that Linksys model is supposed to have QoS built in (with later firmwares), and you configure it so that the VoIP ATA gets a certain amount of bandwidth even if you're downloading a lot. 2) The other option is to configure your VoIP ATA to handle the PPPoE log in. Some ATAs actually provide the service of a NAT device so that you can attach a computer, router or switch to the ATA.

If I were you, I would choose #1.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Grelinger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.