Re: Phone Shown in 'Capote' / RJ Connector

In a message dated 10/30/05 4:59:45 PM Central Standard Time, snipped-for-privacy@telecom-digest.org writes in response to a posting from C_shore :

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: They were in use beginning sometime in > the early to middle 1960's, but they were not the little plastic things > which plug in and snap out like today. They were four-prong metal > things with a plastic cover; they more closely resembled wall outlets > for electrical cords. My private phone line at Windermere Hotel in > 1963-64 (HYDe Park 3714)had one, although the 'house' phone (off of > the Windermere switchboard) was hard wired. When I eventually got a > new 'two line phone' (turn button to select desired line, either > private line or switchboard) to go in my bedroom, that one also had an > RJ connector, I think either 1965 or 1966.) PAT]

The four-prong connectors you describe were not RJ connectors. They date from a least before World War II and were the common method of making telephones portable.

The RJ (modular) connectors came much later; in fact, you can I think still buy adapters with a RJ connector on the back of the four-prong plug so you don't have to replace your hard-wired four-prong jack.

The four-prong jack was used only for the mounting cord. Modular jacks and plugs are used today for the handset cord and various other purposes as well; the four-prong plug and jack are clearly unsuitable for that.

Wes Leatherock snipped-for-privacy@aol.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Wesrock
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.