Re: I am working to restore my access to the Telecom Digest [telecom]

Bill...

Can your problem be the new ISP is blocking most inbound ports? Not sure just how SSH works, but I recently ran into something that made me do some head-scratching.

I changed from Spectrum to a local company that provides fiber to the house. Before the change, I was getting probes coming in on an average of one every 8.5 seconds. After the change to the new ISP, that dropped down to zero. Whatever they were doing in handing out IP addresses, it was just like I was sitting behind a router, and only responses to outbound requests were permitted in. So, all the continuous probes were getting blocked.

I had considered going with a VPN -- that might be an option for you. In my case, I went for a fixed IP address (an extra charge item) and now all the probes are back. And, again, people can connect in to my router, and beyond if need be.

Sorry about the top posting. But you know what you wrote, so I will leave it in below.

...Bob

Reply to
OldBob
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.