Re: Headset Hack

I am addicted to my telephone headset, and I like using a corded phone

> for the sound quality and privacy. Caller ID is a must, and phones > that have all these features (headsets, wired, and Caller ID) tend to > be more expensive business models. > This is the hack I thought of to let me use a cheap Wal*Mart wired > phone with a headset. Simply wire a connection between the coiled > handset cord and my headset. There are 4 connectors on the coiled > handset cord, one for talking, one for listening, and a ground each. > My headset has a 1/8" male stereo jack at the end. The part furtherst > from the tip would take both the ground wires, and then I just have to > find which is the mike, and which is the earpiece. > Then I have to find out what the 4 wires in the coiled handset cord > are and connect them correctly. Is there any reason this won't work? > Any good ideas on how to best make the connection? Thanks.

I tried lots of different combinations connections, but I couldn't get the headset to work. I know phone wiring is pretty funky, so maybe the whole concept is flawed. Radio Shack has a $22 device that lets you add a headset to any phone. It takes batteries, so maybe I am missing a power source when I just hook it up directly, or maybe some modification to the circuit needs to be done.

After cutting the coiled cord that goes to the handset, I have a red, yellow, black and green wire. I think the red and green go to the handset speaker and the black and yellow go to the mouthpiece. I think green is ground, and I am guessing black is ground, but I don't have any good reason for that. Googling the subject led me to a lot of information on the wiring between the phone and the central switch, but nothing specific to the wiring between the phone and handset. This is an example of what I found:

formatting link
It seems to contradict what I found yesterday, so I'll try a different combination.

Reply to
BrianEWilliams
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.