Newbie cable question

There really isn't a standard.

Personally I use red/blk for power, yell/grn for loops (or white if there isnt a yellow)... whatever works for you...just once you establish a standard do all your systems the same way.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Did a takeover lastweek...actually it was never fired up, so I'd call it an abandoned takeover. Anyway, this one drove me nuts..orig installers used whatever colors they felt like...some windows were on red/green, some on yellow/green, powered devices were red/green for power, white/black for loop. What a pain in the butt.

No wire numbers, no description of anykind of where wires went...no doubt the musta went outta biz.

| > I am a total newbie to this group | >

| > can someone tell me if there is a colour code standard for wiring alarms | >

| > I have the alarm cable with | >

| > red | > black | > green | > yellow | > white | > blue | >

| > which colour is normally used for which job as in the tamper circuit and | > NC | > circuit | >

| > any help please | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hello all

I am a total newbie to this group

can someone tell me if there is a colour code standard for wiring alarms

I have the alarm cable with

red black green yellow white blue

which colour is normally used for which job as in the tamper circuit and NC circuit

any help please

Reply to
jhg

Reason he went out of business is ...... he was color blind.

He could never figure out what colors went where either.

Reply to
Jim

Actually some higher security systems do not have any colors on the wiring or any indication to tell which wire is which. Or may use colors at "random" for the same reason.

One thing you don't want in this business is every company to use the same standard for wiring. (In reality, it is actually quite difficult to get every installer in just *one* company to use the same colors for anything! So this makes servicing the systems quite difficult at times...)

Reply to
Bill

Try this:

red (+ Power) black (- Power) green (NC Circuit) yellow (NC Circuit) white (Tamper) blue (Tamper)

There really is no standard. Just stick to what works for you.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

only if you do high security stuff.

I do stuff that has to be inspected by DEA, when I do I either use uncoded wire or use different combinations of colors for each device/switch and run

24 hr tamper loops through all contacts (i have special contacts made with 4 conductors two for the switch, two for a tamper loop).

| >

| > Actually some higher security systems do not have any colors on the wiring | > or any indication to tell which wire is which. Or may use colors at | "random" | > for the same reason. | >

| > One thing you don't want in this business is every company to use the same | > standard for wiring. (In reality, it is actually quite difficult to get | > every installer in just *one* company to use the same colors for anything! | > So this makes servicing the systems quite difficult at times...) | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

or in the elevator shaft..or out on the telephone pole.

2-4-6 | > conductor wire, you will find most are using a uniform configuration. | >

| >> I suppose it would be wrong to standardise for security reasons | >>

| >>

| >>

| >> >

| >> > Actually some higher security systems do not have any colors on the | > wiring | >> > or any indication to tell which wire is which. Or may use colors at | >> "random" | >> > for the same reason. | >> >

| >> > One thing you don't want in this business is every company to use the | > same | >> > standard for wiring. (In reality, it is actually quite difficult to get | >> > every installer in just *one* company to use the same colors for | > anything! | >> > So this makes servicing the systems quite difficult at times...) | >> >

| >> >

| >>

| >>

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

With the use of crow bars, hammers, wire cutters, bolt cutters, spray paint, hair spray, razor blades, paperclips, and I've even seen acid, used in an attempt to either defeat or disable a security system. Worrying about no color coding versus color coding is traveling way into the world of movies. The high tech security applications, earlier refered to, are well thought out and designed with layers on top of layers of hardened perimeter and interior protection, as well as landscape and physical security before one would ever get to the contol. Even internal threats are diminished with the use of access control and CCTV in these type of applications. The standardization of color codes is usually a company policy rather than an industry standard, but with only so many colors to choose from in a 2-4-6 conductor wire, you will find most are using a uniform configuration.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Oh yeah those bouncing laser beam detectors in the air duct work...yah I use those a lot too, how bout you?

| >

| > | >> I suppose it would be wrong to standardise for security reasons | > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >> >

| > | >> > Actually some higher security systems do not have any colors on the | > | > wiring | > | >> > or any indication to tell which wire is which. Or may use colors at | > | >> "random" | > | >> > for the same reason. | > | >> >

| > | >> > One thing you don't want in this business is every company to use | the | > | > same | > | >> > standard for wiring. (In reality, it is actually quite difficult to | > get | > | >> > every installer in just *one* company to use the same colors for | > | > anything! | > | >> > So this makes servicing the systems quite difficult at times...) | > | >> >

| > | >> >

| > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yah...they are defeating a whole system with a pair of ally..gators on a jumper...or all of the moves they go through to get past the **Laser beams**. It looks like they are practicing for a game of Twister when they get back to the hideout. After they divide the loot, that is. But then there are those that just go in and kick everyones butts. They don't care about color codes.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I love the movies that have the control mounted next to the phone box outside...... ha ha ha ha

Reply to
Russell Brill

thanks for the replies guys

I suppose it would be wrong to standardise for security reasons

Reply to
jhg

Wow...what a way to go...bang zappo...dust bunny mama.

Not to far from here is that company that freezes bodies in liquid nitrogen for later repairs should they discover a method of reincarnation. Wierd place.

| >>

| >> Jack up the inputs and the laser'll "zap" the lint balls... :-)) | >>

| > Good idea, but will a higher setting on the laser injure a burglar or a | > maintenance man??? I don't want to be sued for security | > malpractice.......... :-)) | | | Jack up the inputs enough and you won't have to worry. You'll just have to | change the air filters a little more often. | | Did you read that article about the new fangled way they're "cremating" the | "dearly departed" in Sweden?? They dip the bodies in liquid nitrogen for | five minutes, put them in a special capsule that sends a series of | ultrasonic pulses through the frozen remains and "boom". Instant | freeze-dried powder. You don't even have to grind the bones. Your "loved | one" is returned to you in a special fibre box (made of recycled paper) that | they even suggest you bury it in your back yard and plant an apple or pear | tree on top. | | "Gee, Ma, these pears are delicious." | | "You bet, your Grandpa's all over them." | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I hate the false alarms caused by lint balls in the air ducts........

Reply to
Russell Brill

Jack up the inputs and the laser'll "zap" the lint balls... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

"Frank Olson" wrote in message news:lzk1f.100735$1i.47657@pd7tw2no...

Good idea, but will a higher setting on the laser injure a burglar or a maintenance man??? I don't want to be sued for security malpractice.......... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Jack up the inputs enough and you won't have to worry. You'll just have to change the air filters a little more often.

Did you read that article about the new fangled way they're "cremating" the "dearly departed" in Sweden?? They dip the bodies in liquid nitrogen for five minutes, put them in a special capsule that sends a series of ultrasonic pulses through the frozen remains and "boom". Instant freeze-dried powder. You don't even have to grind the bones. Your "loved one" is returned to you in a special fibre box (made of recycled paper) that they even suggest you bury it in your back yard and plant an apple or pear tree on top.

"Gee, Ma, these pears are delicious."

"You bet, your Grandpa's all over them."

Reply to
Frank Olson

ha ha ha ha.........

"Frank Olson" wrote in message news:u%k1f.111702$tl2.70283@pd7tw3no...

Reply to
Russell Brill

You bottom posters are wearing out my scrolling finger.

| > Not to far from here is that company that freezes bodies in liquid | nitrogen | > for later repairs should they discover a method of reincarnation. Wierd | > place. | >

| >

| > | >>

| > | >> Jack up the inputs and the laser'll "zap" the lint balls... :-)) | > | >>

| > | > Good idea, but will a higher setting on the laser injure a burglar or | a | > | > maintenance man??? I don't want to be sued for security | > | > malpractice.......... :-)) | > | | > | | > | Jack up the inputs enough and you won't have to worry. You'll just have | > to | > | change the air filters a little more often. | > | | > | Did you read that article about the new fangled way they're "cremating" | > the | > | "dearly departed" in Sweden?? They dip the bodies in liquid nitrogen | for | > | five minutes, put them in a special capsule that sends a series of | > | ultrasonic pulses through the frozen remains and "boom". Instant | > | freeze-dried powder. You don't even have to grind the bones. Your | "loved | > | one" is returned to you in a special fibre box (made of recycled paper) | > that | > | they even suggest you bury it in your back yard and plant an apple or | pear | > | tree on top. | > | | > | "Gee, Ma, these pears are delicious." | > | | > | "You bet, your Grandpa's all over them." | > | | > | | >

| >

| Is that where the locals hangout? | | Norm | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.