Parking a Couple of Phone Numbers

I owned a retail business that went belly-up a few years ago. I've been hanging on to the phone numbers in case I get an opportunity to restart things; hundreds of customers have them memorized :-)

Anyway, I'm currently in 630-832 (Elmhurst, IL CO); one of the numbers is also 630-832 and the other is 630-691 (Lombard, IL CO).

My first plan was to port them to Vonage. But Vonage won't take a commercial number on a residential plan, and since I'm just parking them I don't need the pricey business plan. So I asked SBC (now AT&T) to convert them to residential. To do that, I had to first make them unlisted/nonpub, then wait for the next directory to print; then I could call and convert them to residential service.

Well, the directory printed, I called back, and it turns out I can only convert the 832 number to residential because the 691 number is RCF'ed from the other CO and apparently RCF is not available on residential lines. The rep started suggesting all kinds of call packages and features to "help" me so I just told her firmly to make no changes whatsoever to the account, and now I'm working up a Plan B.

All I really want is to retain control of these numbers, at minimal cost. I don't need them to physically terminate anywhere -- in fact I didn't plan to even use the Vonage TA, I'd just have them simultaneously ring to my cellphone.

My current plan is to see if I can port 691 to my T-Mobile cell mid-term (which, BTW, I am SO dumping T-Mobile as soon as my contract runs out, but that's another story) and then convert 832 to residential and port it to Vonage or some other VOIP provider.

Any other suggestions?

Gordon S. Hlavenka

formatting link
If your teacher tells you to Question Authority Should you do it?

Reply to
Gordon S. Hlavenka
Loading thread data ... Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.