A couple of questions about VOIP

I've done some reading on VoIP. I've got the following questions:

- How good is the quality for a "normal" ADSL line?

- Are there any specific ADSL services which are better?

- I'm currently looking for in-state calling only plan and nation wide. Which companies give good service/quality? State price please if you can.

Thanks.

Reply to
jtaub
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the info. I'm from California, US. The companies I came up with are Lingo, Vonage, iConnect and Broad(something).

Regarding the usage of DSL. For me, and probably most other users, usually you surf the internet and using downloading (receiving). Uploading includes the following (as I understand):

- protocols header information (not a lot of info - thus not a lot of bandwidth).

- Files/attachments: rarely do any of it. This is what really consumes bandwidth when uploading.

If the DSL line is extensively used while talking, what will I experience? Delays? Static? Poor quality?

If I don't use the line or make an "average" use, quality should be near a regular phone quality?

Reply to
jtaub

Thanks for the info. I'm from California, US. The companies I came up with are Lingo, Vonage, iConnect and Broad(something).

Regarding the usage of DSL. For me, and probably most other users, usually you surf the internet and using downloading (receiving). Uploading includes the following (as I understand):

- protocols header information (not a lot of info - thus not a lot of bandwidth).

- Files/attachments: rarely do any of it. This is what really consumes bandwidth when uploading.

If the DSL line is extensively used while talking, what will I experience? Delays? Static? Poor quality?

If I don't use the line or make an "average" use, quality should be near a regular phone quality?

Reply to
jtaub

Hi there!

what is a normal ADSL line according to you? For a convenient qualtiy to carry out VoIP-calls, you need 80 kbit/s up and down, minimum! A normal ADSL line according to me gives at least 512kbit/s down and about

128kbit/s up. With this bandwiths VoIP will work. But you have to keep in mind that if you are sharing your DSL connection with others or if you want to surf the net at the same time you might need more bandwith. If you don´t do any other traffic while calling it will work.

Yes. Some services provide "interleaving" and some do "fastpath". I don't want to get into detail. It's about the latency (how much time the ip-packets need to travel back and forth). VoIP will work better if you have "fastpath". A paket should not need longer to get to the VoIP-provider than about 50ms.

I cannot give you any recommendations since I don't know where you are from. In the UK you can use babble.net (for instance) which will let you do free calls to land-line phones all across the UK, Europe, the US, Canada and Australia!

Greetings

Andrian

Reply to
Andrian Geheuer

I've had Vonage since last Spring. I took a cautious approach, testing before commiting to be sure my comcast connection would be adequate. There have been some hiccups, mostly at the beginning. There's a learning curve but I'm a satisfied customer, not looking back and not looking for another provider. I can't say if the other services are better or worse. I only have experience with Vonage.

The biggest benefit for me is simultaneous ring to house phone and cell phone. Nobody has, or needs, my cell phone number so no cell minutes used at home and no trying multiple numbers to reach me. If Vonage isn't working for any reason the cell phone takes over seemlessly. The combination is powerful for me.

Reply to
charlie

I browsed online for VoIP services and came up with the following:

- Lingo: unlimited $19.95

- iConnect: 800 minutes $15.99 unlimited $29.99

- BroadVoice: unlimited $19.95 in-state $9.95

- BroadVox: couldn't find any details

- Vonage: unlimited $24.99 500 minutes $14.99

- SpeakEasy: couldn't find any details

- Packet8: unlimited $19.95

- Belkin: 500 minutes $14.95 unlimited $24.95

By unlimited I mean the US and Canada.

How come there is such a difference? AT&T and Verizon offer is more expensive. Have you heard of any of these brands quality of service?

For me, if quality is pretty much the same, I'd go for in state for $9.95.

Reply to
jtaub

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.