[telecom] Re: Written format of phone numbers

numbers are written down, especially in these days of ten digit

dialing.

The ITU standard is "+country code area/city code local number" when you expect the number to be used by persons outside your country and "(ac) local number" for national only communication. Neither format uses hyphens.>>

ITU standards is different than what a country uses. +cc area code number with no punctuation is the ITU preferred format e.g. +1 311

555 2368.

However, the standard way it's often shown in the US and Canada is (area code) NXX-XXXX e.g. (311) 555-2368. If you've seen any numbers by the phone company it's NXX NXX-XXXX i.e. area code space three numbers hyphen then four numbers e.g. 311 555-2368. Very often it's three numbers hyphen three numbers hyphen four numbers e.g.

311-555-2368.

Other countries parse numbers differently. Many countries do area code hyphen followed by the directory number and depending on the number of digits in a local number. Some countries do not parse the numbers at all and just have the area code a hyphen followed by the local number. Personally I don't think people really concern themselves with how a number is written as long as it's easy for them to remember the number.

The French put their numbers in pairs e.g. for Paris 0123456789 they'd show 01-23 45 67 89 since they would quote a number as zero one, twenty-three, forty-five, sixty-seven, eighty-nine rather than two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

formatting link

Reply to
Mr Joseph Singer
Loading thread data ...

On the BBC news show "World, have your say" they cite their telephone number in pairs of digits, that is, 44 20 70 83 72 72. No country specific access codes are suggested as the show is apparently heard world wide. I suspect all telephone numbers in England are not given in this format but it's probably the easiest way to be comprehended in many different countries.

Reply to
Al Gillis

Last word on telephone number formats. Oh who am I kidding? This comes up quite frequently. :-)

I got a call from our mortgage company the other day. Turns out it was a false alarm (payment wasn't due for another 13 days when they called). The guy who called me wanted to verify my work phone number. He grouped the 10 digits into 5 groups of 2 reading as "Fifty-one, twenty-four, twenty-five, etc." That was really hard to follow.

Reply to
John Mayson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.