Re: Written format of phone numbers [telecom]

But there *ARE* some other (European) countries where the full

>national number MUST be dialed, even for "local" calls within the >same area code, and the legacy leading '0' (displayed as the first >actual digit of the area code) must also be dialed. I think France >has been like this for at least ten years now.

I'm confused. I thought in the French dialing plan, 0 is a significant digit in the first position of a telephone number as in the example given in the other followup about how the French voice telephone numbers by stating pairs of digits.

>If that's the case, why is continued use of the 0 prefix part >>of the dialing plan? >Don't ask me.

It was rhetorical. I live in an area that requires 10-digit dialing with a leading prefix for both home and foreign NPA dialing. I don't object the overlay policy that makes use of the home NPA mandatory in the dialing plan, but I do object to the leading prefix. The "1" ain't a domestic trunk-identifying code as no such code was used in this area in the days before electronic switches. It's a legacy of the expanded area code rules, so only very recent, with no explanation as to why it's been retained.

Reply to
Adam H. Kerman
Loading thread data ...

Wikipedia says it selects the carrier. 0 is France Telecom, other digits are other carriers.

Reply to
John Levine

We have ten digit dialing for all calls, but the 1 prefix is required for out-of-LATA calls.

It's a legacy of being a toll barrier, that is, a warning to the customer that the number dialed would be a toll call. Actually, I find it a nuisance, but then I don't like ten digit dialing either.

At work, we still have 7 digit dialing, and 1 is necessary external area code calls. However, the switch excepts 10 digit dialing even within our own area code. The area codes have become so tiny that 10 digits are needed for most calls anyway.

As mentioned separately, newspaper ads always show the area code.

All of this is legacy of various switch plans, local differences (like needing only 7 digits to call a _different_ area code in certain instances), etc.

I still blame the explosion of interconnecting carriers. My town has about 12 exchanges assigned to it when three would be more than enough for actual needs.

Reply to
hancock4

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.