Bell 607 Dial PBX Cord Switchboard

Recently I mentioned the Bell 608 PBX, which was the last cord switchboard developed by the Bell System and had a modernized appearance and some automated functions.

I've discovered there was a predecessor, the 607 PBX. This looked like a traditional switchboard (black and wood), cords, and lever keys, however, this had similar automated functions such as automatic ringing and flashing supervisory signals. I don't know if the 607 had wink flash for ringing.

Would anyone have had any experience with this particular board? I suspect it came out in the mid 1950s. I'm not sure how it related to the 555/556; they had modular components but no automated features.

For those unfamiliar with switchboards (cord or cordless), they contain "supervisory signals" which is the status of whether the telephones are on hook or off hook. These tell the operator whether the call has been answered or whether the call has been completed.

On cord switchboards, these were small lights at the base of the cords. On meant on-hook, off meant off hook.

On busy boards the operator had to remember, for each cord pair, whether the call had been answered or completed. Either would display on-hook. For not answered, she'd have to continue ringing or get on and take a message. For already done, she would disconnect.

The 607 and 608 boards provided automatic flashing of supervisory signals to aid. A slow wink indicated ringing, a fast wink indicated a user flash for operator. These help productivity.

What is sad that today PBX operators have no idea about these things. They connect you and forget about you. If the called party is busy or doesn't answer you're out of luck. Sometimes you'll come back to the board as a fresh call and the operator will just plug you in all over again, not realizing the called party isn't answering and you need to be referred to someone else or a message taken.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The 607 came out in 1950, and that was what we had at University of Chicago (actually a 26-position, broken in two groups of 12 positions and one group of 2-positions) when I worked there in 1958-62. In addition to what you noted above, each position had a 'tie-line' plug on the bottom row of plugs to every other position; the tie-line plugs were in a sort of 'rotary hunt' arrangment; unlike the other lines where we had to 'test for busy' before plugging in and ringing ('test for busy' meant touch the tip of your cord to the sleeve of the plug on the board; if you heard a 'crackle' sound of static in your ear the line was free and you could use it; if you did _not_ hear the 'static noise' it meant [and your report to the caller was] 'line is busy') with those tie lines you just plugged in, waited for another operator to answer then passed the desired extension number. The reason you had to do this test was because some other operator down the line who multipled to that extension might have a cord up down there. If you did not test for busy first, you might well accidentally put an unwanted 'three way call' up in error.

The three clusters of positions were known informally as 'Midway' (for MIDway-3-0800 the main campus number with 59 incoming lines in rotary hunt; PBX extensions were numbered in the 2000-4999 series), 'Museum' (for MUseum-4-6100 which was the main number for the hospital/medical center complex with 93 incoming lines in rotary hunt; PBX extensions were numbered in the 5000-6999 series plus Telepage '7') and 'Normal' (for NORmal-7-4700 which was the Fermi Computation Center main number with about 20 incoming lines in rotary hunt; PBX extensions numbered in the 8000 series). The extensions could all dial each other of course, but incoming calls from outside were _supposed_ to begin with the outside caller using the 'proper' listed number to reach us. But many folks would call the medical center (MUseum-4-6100) and then ask for the 'personnell department' [for example] which was part of the main campus MIDway-3-0800, so whenever an incoming caller wound up on 'the wrong board' the operator had to transfer them via the tie-line to the board on the other side of the room; sort of like the old 'A' and 'B' board arrangement. And yes, it was otherwise a 607 board in terms of automatic ringing/flashing-back/ etc.

When the 607-style boards were first installed -- they told me it was about 1949-50 -- all five thousand plus extensions (main campus, hospital and the (then new) Computation Center were assigned to MIDway-3-0800; there were then a couple hundred lines in rotary hunt used, I think from 0800 through 0999, but the 'powers that be' decided the traffic congestion was just too much, and it had to be split up differently. All the student dormitories, faculty housing and the 'International House' (sort of a 'YMCA-like' place on campus) all had their own switchboards as well, all of which had extensions from our main board _plus_ their own 'outside' 7-digit numbers to use as their incoming/outgoing lines. For about six months, they had me work over in the medical center at the 'psychiatric board' (that is, the switch- board in the psychiatric unit at the university hospitals). There were five or six extensions from the main phone room and each of the psych doctors had their own private extensions as well.

I think about 1963-64 Illinois Bell decided the entire mess should be done over; they got University of Chicago to split the cost with them fifty/fifty to install centrex; over on 61st Street and Kenwood Avenue (across the alley from 'Kenwood Bell' [the central office for the whole area] Illinois Bell built an area for a new centrex installation. It was down the street from the university power plant. It took them about a year to construct the whole thing, and they put it on the 312-753 exchange. PAT]

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.