Porting landline numbers to cell [TELECOM]

WRT the recent discussion about porting landline numbers to cell, and problems that may arise because of differing rate centers etc...

Let me set up my situation:

In 1999 I was running a PC repair business, working out of my house in Villa Park, IL. I purchased a retail business in neighboring Lombard. So now I had my original phone number (630-832, Elmhurst CO) and the number of the retail business (630-691, Lombard CO). These were both business lines, served from different COs. I ordered "Alternate Answering" and "Busy Line Transfer" on the 832 number, so that if it was busy or not answered right away it would forward to the store. These two services cost me about 75 cents each (plus normal usage) -- way less than Call Forwarding.

A few years go by, and guess what? The retail thing didn't pan out. But I had customers who only knew me by the 691 number so I didn't want to lose it. Unfortunately, since it was served out of a different CO I couldn't switch it to my house. I had to get Remote Call Forwarding, and even though the line had maybe 30 minutes/month of usage the bill was over $50. Yech.

I decided to get Vonage and port the two numbers over to VOIP. But Vonage wouldn't allow me to port a business line to their $15/mo residential plan. So I called AT&T to get the numbers switched to residential. The rep explained that I'd have to request "unlisted, non-pub" for both lines, then wait for the next directory to print. Then they'd make the switch.

So I did that, and when the time came it turned out that AT&T couldn't convert the 691 number! Why? Because it was an RCF line, and RCF is strictly a business service. I couldn't have a residential line on RCF, and if I deleted RCF I'd lose the line completely since it had no physical termination. I've since been told that this is poppycock, that I could in fact have a residential line with no physical presence, but apparently this was unknown to all the AT&T reps I talked to.

So, what I ended up doing was porting both lines to cell phones. Now my cell has the 832 number, and my son's cell has the 691 number. If he gets a customer call, he asks them to call me direct.

I got the phones through Cingular so the lines weren't ported out of the company, but there was absolutely no problem with the port. Calls terminated on the landline until the moment they began terminating on the cell. And nothing was ever said about the conversion from business to residential. Now they are both ordinary cell accounts, so if I want to port them someplace else I don't anticipate any trouble.

But the bottom line is, that that I don't think the two rate centers could have been much more different (especially the 691 number; business RCF to residential cell), and yet the move went off without a hitch.

Reply to
Gordon S. Hlavenka
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.