AT&T "Family Maps" cellphone location tracking [telecom]

AT&T announced a new cellphone service targeted to parents to track their kids. Privacy experts are concerned.

See:

formatting link

This kind of thing makes me uncomfortable. Yes, I know plenty of kids lie about where they are, but I think that is a separate issue that needs to be addressed. In other words, if there are family social problems, deal with those problems as they are, don't use technology as a way of avoiding important social issues.

What troubles me is if the present generation of kids gets used to the tracking and surveillance that older folks thought of as "1984ish" and unacceptable. It's troubling how many things prophesized in "1984" have become a routine part of everyday life.

[I was a "goody two-shoes" as a school student, but I'd probably be expelled if I were a student today because of the many new strictly enforced rules that didn't exist when I was a kid. In my day if a kid was misbehaving in a minor way the teacher would merely tell the kid to stop it and that was the end of it. Today they have "zero tolerance" and the teacher or proctor would formally write the kid up for discipline. Today it's hard for a kid to get through the school year without any write-ups, it my day such formal write-ups were rare. Kids' behavior hasn't changed.]

When an organization puts up electronic controls and tells me it's to "protect the customers", I view that with great suspicion; I think it's to protect the organization and to heck with the customers.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Privacy be damned: when my kid was underage, I wanted to know where he was, and who he was with, every second he was out of my sight.

We can look back to the halcyon days of yesteryear all we want (nostalgia for a simpler, more understandable time made a lot of money for the producers of "Happy Days" and similar TV shows), but we have to _live_ in the present. Children growing up in the Twenty-First century are so over-stimulated that they are literally numb, and are practically incapable of applying any common-sense to social situations. The Perfect People(TM) they see on TV all get to do whatever they want, so those who watch them do it too.

June Cleaver is not vacuuming Ward's little trophy home anymore: she's hustling between meetings at mega-corp, dreading the next series of layoffs, taking work home all the time, and fighting physical and spiritual exhaustion every day. Ward's little trophy wife is as numb as her kids (or Ward, for that matter), and Eddie Haskel is depositing his drug profits to addresses in the Netherlands Antilles, to add to his retirement fund and in case he needs to buy his way out of an inconvenient truth. Beaver is no more a child than the orphans he sees on the streets of Lagos while he channel-surfs and memorizes the date of birth of Paul Revere: the Beeve is high, he's stealing from June's purse and Ward's wallet to make sure that Eddie Haskel is still his friend, and someday June is going to realize that her jewelry collection went missing at about the same time as the video camera and the SLR and the family silver.

Say what you want about the 1950's (or any other bygone time) - we live in an age where controlled substances can be had in any hamlet in the world. The poster is right: children have not changed. They will always respond to peer pressure, will always take stupid risks, and will always need adults to guide them. The difference is that Aunt Polly's fence is covered with lead-poisoned paint, and Tom Sawyer is offering your son the chance to get high in return for a small part of his soul.

Privacy and its prosetylizers be damned. I want the coordinates.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
hancock4
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
This was a big selling point a couple of years ago for "Disney Mobile", an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) which was reselling, um, I think Sprint.

Nice concept, but it didn't get them anywhere near the market penetration they where hoping for, and they've been relegated to the dust bins of history.

Reply to
danny burstein

I agree. If people wish to create the communities of the 1950s they can. It's a matter of moving to a smaller community. Case in point, the town of Brisbane, California, 1 mile south of San Francisco's Candlestick Park (where the 49ers play and the Giants used to play). Brisbane has about 4,000 people. It's located in a small valley. The residents know each other. When a kid is wandering around, neighbors know who they are. They know where they're supposed to be. People watch out for each other. No GPS necessary. Brisbane is but one such community. There are 10s of thousands of these all over America.

What's funny is that Brisbane is no isolated early 20th Century enclave. It's in the heart of the epicenter of biotech. It has better cell phone coverage than nearly anywhere in America. Any given outdoors area will receive a dozen or more Wi-Fi routers. Brisbane is the ultimate in high tech. And yet, people know each other, look out for each other. The crime rate is low.

Again, it's not because Brisbane is so special. It's because it's small. Even across crowded California (37 million people) there are hundreds of such small communities there 1950s style community still works.

Reply to
David Kaye

I respectfully must disagree.

Certainly, as a parent you want to do everything possible to protect your children (not only as kids, but forever). But the reality is that you can't, even with new technologies. Very seriously--how far are you willing to go with technology? Put GPS in the car? Secretly wiretap their phone calls? Secret cameras in their rooms?

Summing it up, my feeling is that when there's a social problem, the problem itself needs to be fixed, not use technology to build walls around it. That is, if kids are facing danger, let's eliminate those dangers, not simply track our kids. Indeed, kids will turn their phones off, let the batteries run down, or simply lose them, eliminating the tracking ability.

Back in the 1960s the crime rate skyrocketed. For the decades the only solution was to put more locks on our doors, not deal with the crime issue itself. New York City had terrible crime by the 1970s, but managed to beat it back and is much healthier today as a result.

This is not to say I'm against cell phones for kids--they are an added convenience and safety measure. But if parents can't trust their kids to be truthful and resort to tracking devices, drug tests, room searches, IMHO there is a deeper problem and technology is only a Band- Aid, not the real solution.

I recognize times have changed, but times have always been changing. When "The Greatest Generation" were kids they horrified their parents by rejecting many Old World traditions the parents brought over with them. During WW II social moral values took a break for the duration. Moralists were outraged at the frank anti-VD measures the Army took, but those measures were necessary. None the less, the "Greatest Generation" managed to get through the Depression, win the war, and create the enormous economic boom of the 1950s.

Then the Baby Boomers horrified their parents. We thought the country would come to end in the 1960s from the riots, counter culture, etc., but things worked out all right.

IMHO, a great many kids today are better grounded and "together" than their Baby Boomer parents were as kids. High schools and colleges had plenty of temptations when the Boomers were there in the 60s and 70s.

There are kids today who screw up and fall to the dark side, but there were Boomers who did so and Greatest who did so, too. In WW II and the 1950s much of that stuff was kept carefully hidden from public view, it was taboo to speak of it, while today it's fashionable to share your troubles with the world on Leno.

Reply to
hancock4

The old Bell System used to employ thousands of women. True, many telephone operators were young just buying time until they found a husband. But women in the commercial section, such as service reps and billing clerks, and their supervisors, were older. Likewise, Western Electric employed women in its factories. How did all these women deal with their families in the 1950s? The Bell System 100 years ago provided matrons and support for the young girls who worked as operators, many of whom were away from the farm in the city for the first time. But I don't think family support existed in the 1950s.

The Cleavers were not a typical family, they were more affluent than most. A great many families required the women to work in factories or offices, even in the 1950s, to make ends meet.

Reply to
hancock4

They already have that. It's called FasTrak, and it's used for automatically paying tolls on bridges, etc.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, roadside signs in various places estimate how long it will take to get to the various airports, bridges, and major highway intersections. What most people are unaware of is that the FasTrak transponders are also used to track movements of specific cars to provide information to those signs.

formatting link

Reply to
David Kaye

formatting link

[Extensive moderator snip] [etc]

Geez, Bill. Are you letting PAT use your PC again? :-)

Thanks --

David

***** Moderator's Note *****

No, I was just venting. My son is a developmentally-delayed adult, and he has always been easily manipulated by those around him, to the extent that I no longer allow any of his "friends" in the private areas of my home, because it turned out that when some of them visited, things tended to go missing. I could carry on for hours about the terrible lack of services and supports for kids like him, but that's not something appropriate for a telecom group: suffice to say that parents in my situation need all the help we can get, and we learn early on to put practicality ahead of theory.

As far as location-reporting phones go, I'm all for them: I'm also all for parents developing backbones and telling their darling little ones that they are not yet adults and that a cell phone isn't a toy, and that they have to make a trade in return for the convenience of being allowed the privilege of using one. In this case, the price is having their parents able to know where they are.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
David Wolff

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.