What Next?

My older brother (Mid 50's) was flown to a hospital downstate (Michigan) on Monday. He was in a coma and unresponsive following an early morning trip to the emergency room with a severe headache.

The doctors told my sister-in-law that there is a baseball sized area of bleeding putting pressure on his brain. The damage has been significant.

They did another CAT Scan today which (according to the phone call I just received) shows that the damaged area is expanding. Apparently if he does wake up his right side will be paralyzed, he will have lost his verbal function and most of his cognitive reasoning. But his waking up is not likely. They meet with the neurosurgeon tomorrow morning.

He is 53 years old. He married his high school sweetheart and she is by his side as he struggles. They have three daughters and a son. Two of the girls were international adoptions from Korea.

He teaches science at a Catholic middle school and has a reputation as a fun teacher but a hard grader. He loved the Bill Nye the Science Guy show. Every once in a while, in the course of my job I meet families who have had kids who had him for a teacher. invariably, when they find out who my brother is their faces brighten up and they can't say enough nice things. Heck, even the staff at the local AM radio station (I test their fire alarms) have nothing but nice things to say about him. They know him because he is a frequent winner of trivia and word quiz contests.

His dream was to some day appear on Jeopardy and he used to watch the show with an oversize retractable pen in his hand and practice. Two weeks ago he attended the tryouts in Chicago. He wore a specially ordered shirt that matched one he wears in class but without the logo. He was careful to avoid any foods that might make his throat 'scratchy' and agonized over the decision on whether to keep his beard or shave it (he kept it). His biggest concern was that his neck looks lopsided ever since his cancer surgery over a decade ago.

He carefully planned everything so if he didn't make it he wouldn't look back and 'what if' himself to death. He would know that he gave it his best shot and no excuses. He was relaxed and even got a few laughs.

When it was over he had done well enough to be placed in the pool for this season and next.

It just isn't fair.

I'm sad and I am angry.

Reply to
JoeRaisin
Loading thread data ...

Joe I think everyone here including myself will have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. It has been a rough time for you this past year. You can never know how these things will turn out..... some times what looks hopeless can turn around.

Reply to
ssokoly

Sorry to hear that, Joe. You and your brother are in our prayers.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Joe Im going thru my own crisis with colon cancer at this time and life may seem impossible and unfair ,and bad things always seem to happen to nice people .All I can say is hang in there and hope for the best. Do not say what is next to go wrong because you do not want to know. Every time i think how bad things are for me at the present i hear somehing much worse happening to some one else and Im glad not to be in there shoes. I hope all comes out well and My prayers are with you .

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

The neurosurgeon reports that there is nothing more that can be done.

We are heading down to be with his family.

My sister in law has a difficult decision to make.

This sucks

Reply to
JoeRaisin

My family is praying for yours.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.