Speaking of Commercial

You know, of late I have been doing as much machine work (making big pieces of metal into smaller pieces of metal) as I have communication installing, but I got a call from a good customer last week who needed some cabling done for a bunch of new APs to integrate with an inventory management system. I was originally working for the plant management company (my current client) on behalf of a company I had never worked for before, but is a plant use client of theirs.

It didn't seem particularly challenging technically, but after the first day when I worked until the batteries died on my scissor lift I was actually looking forward to going to work. I normally get the kids off to school and go back to bed for an hour or two. The last couple days I have had my first cup of coffee before its time to wake them up, and I've been out the door right behind them.

Along the course of the job I coordinated with the IT guy for the company requesting the work. Basically he was going to wait for me to run the cable and install a new J-box to hold the new equipment to accommodate the additional APs. Then he was going to hop on the corporate jet and fly down to tie everything down and install the new hardware.

I asked him a few questions and each time he had an issue I had an answer. The cost of the job nearly doubled, but they will save that just in jet fuel. Their guy is no longer coming down at all. As soon as the new switching equipment arrives, I'll be tying it all in for them.

The work itself is enjoyable, but there are several things that made it really a positive job for me. Every time they had a concern or a problem I had an answer. They didn't expect me to provide all the answers at the original price estimate. (Residential is notorious for that.)

I have had some pain is the keester customers with both residential and commercial, but I have to say the most fun and profitable individual jobs tend to be commercial. This isn't really a big job for me, but it's the most fun I've had with a screwdriver in a while.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like .... it's the diversification that's the attraction for you. That's what makes me get up an dance each morning. I'm thinking all night long about things I'm going to do tomorrow and next day and next week. I've always got some kind of research to do for products and finding out if I can integrate one product with another.

Good for you. Keep up the momentum ..... it's fun.

Reply to
Jim

I am same way involved in all kinds of work other than alarms doing voice/data , Industrial / commercial electrical work building industrial controls being an engineer for a radio station. It makes the day interesting. was working on a River Towboat the other day fixing a Fire Alarm and other things.

Reply to
nick markowitz

You know its funny. I routinely tell my customers I am NOT a computer guy, and refer them to some of the "computer" guys I know for pc repairs, network configuration etc. Its amazing how many of them ask me point blank if I can do what they need anyway, and they pay my field service rate to do it even though I charge more than the computer guys I normally send them to. Got a call Friday from one of my commercial customers asking me to fix a computer networking problem at his house, because his daughter was freaking out about not being able to connect to the on-line classes she was taking to augment her regular high school classes. Turns out that Qworst ... or is it Penitentiary Link now... had set up a wireless router/modem/hub all in one unit on one computer for them, and never given them any of the logon information, wireless ID, etc. Sigh. I really hate Qworst/PenitentiaryLink. I got into the router, found the information they needed (which was different than info on a label on the bottom of the router) and got them all working properly. I also fixed several "while you are here" problems with PCs printers, etc. The customer was thrilled and told me upfront he would pay my over time rate. (120/hr) He's a good customer and I just invoiced him for regular time, but its nice to have customers that appreciate the fact you can take care of them.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It comes down to who they trust to get the job done right and there are just so many incompetent installers and techs out there that I end up doing locks and everything else because there nothing but hacks out there providing service. thats why im so busy and every one else is crying all people want is good service and they will pay for it if you deliver it.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Robert it all boils down to the fact that it's YOU that people buy .....not just what you do but ..... that what ever it is that you do, you do it with honesty, integrety, sincerity, concern and enthusiasm. These are the important things that attract people. With attributes, they know that you will do your very best to solve their problems and there's no concern that you're trying to "steal" from them.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.