Some dumb questions

Hi All I'm looking to install a domestic wireless system consisting of just three shock sensors and an external sounder. I obviously need some kind of control panel, but only to turn it on or off. I don't need it to send text messages or any of that stuff. I can see plenty of choices for the shock sensors, but do I have to stick to the same company for the control panel? Any advice welcome

Reply to
stuart noble
Loading thread data ...

Heck, you don't need a control panel. Just a switch of some kind, a power supply, and a relay if you plan to operate a sounder.

As to shock sensors. Some are standalone like window bugs and others have a processor board of their own. None really need a "control panel" to operate.

I did some vending systems with internal key switches a while back that just triggered a cellular communicator directly. There was more than just a shock sensor or two though.

Now that cellular is unlimited I wouldn't even put a switch on them to turn them off.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A bit over my head technically.Ideally I need standard off the shelf stuff. Would this fall into that category? Thanks for your prompt reply, most helpful.

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes. Its all standard off the shelf stuff. If you can figure out how to use a switch to cut power to a circuit, and how to use an output to trigger a relay to activate something else you can do this.

The big questions is what do you want your "shock sensors" to do?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The house in question has double patio doors at the back, which burglars have forced in the past, and are likely to do again. There is also a back/kitchen door that is vulnerable. The front of the house is overlooked by neighbours opposite, so unlikely to be a target, but I would put the third sensor on the front door to be on the safe side. It seems logical to have the alarm go off before entry rather than wait till they've trashed the doors

Reply to
stuart noble

A friend of mine set up a silent alarm inside bathroom door. After break in, which had 'bypassed' alarm; one of the intruders went into the bathroom. Feeling safe they were still milling around collecting, on/inside the property when police arrived.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Double patio doors. Sliding glass doors or french doors? If using directly= applied shock sensors, how do you intend on attaching the sensors to the s= lider or the opening doors? Are you aware of door cords or take-off blocks = (not recommended) Probably not. However, it sounds as if using and installi= ng an audio glass break detectors might be beyond you scope of knowledge. T= o use an audio glass break detector without a control panel, you'd have to = be able to lay out a powered circuit using a relay, a power supply, a sound= ing device and an on off switch. If that is not a project you feel up to, I= 'd suggest that you bite the bullet and hire an alarm company to install a = simple alarm control, keyswitch and glass break detector for you. Probably = on cost you a few hundred .... depending upon where you're located.=20

Not to be a smart ass but .... do both you and your neighbors spend a lot o= f time looking at each others houses? I've heard this excuse for not doing = the front of a house for decades. I don't know how much time you have on yo= ur hands but I don't believe I spend as much as five minutes a day looking = at any of my neighbors homes.

Reply to
Jim

ctly applied shock sensors, how do you intend on attaching the sensors to t= he slider or the opening doors? Are you aware of door cords or take-off blo= cks (not recommended) Probably not. However, it sounds as if using and inst= alling an audio glass break detectors might be beyond you scope of knowledg= e. To use an audio glass break detector without a control panel, you'd have= to be able to lay out a powered circuit using a relay, a power supply, a s= ounding device and an on off switch. If that is not a project you feel up t= o, I'd suggest that you bite the bullet and hire an alarm company to instal= l a simple alarm control, keyswitch and glass break detector for you. Proba= bly on cost you a few hundred .... depending upon where you're located.

of time looking at each others houses? I've heard this excuse for not doin= g the front of a house for decades. I don't know how much time you have on = your hands but I don't believe I spend as much as five minutes a day lookin= g at any of my neighbors homes.

These are French doors. Come to think of it, they were prised open at the bottom with a crowbar or similar, so possibly a straightforward door contact would trigger the alarm before a shock detector? This is my son's house and there isn't a "few hundred" going spare right now. We will contact some local alarm companies but I think it's going to be a cheap off the shelf wireless or nothing. It's not the sort of house that's going to interest serious burglars, and I suppose you're relying on the presence of a siren to deter the low level scrotes that visited last time

Reply to
stuart noble

of time looking at each others houses? I've heard this excuse for not doin= g the front of a house for decades. I don't know how much time you have on = your hands but I don't believe I spend as much as five minutes a day lookin= g at any of my neighbors homes.

Don't put such a burden on your neighbor. Help is appreciated, but if he is truly responsible adult *and* something happens, he will feel guiltly for something he didn't really have a lot of control over. WIRE EVERYWHERE

Reply to
Robert Macy

rectly applied shock sensors, how do you intend on attaching the sensors to= the slider or the opening doors? Are you aware of door cords or take-off b= locks (not recommended) Probably not. However, it sounds as if using and in= stalling an audio glass break detectors might be beyond you scope of knowle= dge. To use an audio glass break detector without a control panel, you'd ha= ve to be able to lay out a powered circuit using a relay, a power supply, a= sounding device and an on off switch. If that is not a project you feel up= to, I'd suggest that you bite the bullet and hire an alarm company to inst= all a simple alarm control, keyswitch and glass break detector for you. Pro= bably on cost you a few hundred .... depending upon where you're located.

ot of time looking at each others houses? I've heard this excuse for not do= ing the front of a house for decades. I don't know how much time you have o= n your hands but I don't believe I spend as much as five minutes a day look= ing at any of my neighbors homes.

There are all sorts of "off the shelf" alarm products at Home Depot, Lowes,= Radio Shack etc ..... but there's not a soul here who knows a thing about = them. We all do professional alarm systems and "off the shelf" products are= not something we use, endorse, or know anything about.

Reply to
Jim

Great, so someone could kick the door in and not trigger the panel.

real smart

Reply to
mleuck

Hey, I installed a Schlage Keepsafer system when I was about 13 for my parents grocery store.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

And I'll bet you still have it "on the shelf" somewhere in your warehouse, right?

Reply to
Jim

No, but I bet my dad has it in his storage building somewhere. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A-HA!......So it IS hereditary!!!!

Reply to
Jim

You should see my scrap metal stocks. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well you may find some solace in the fact that I never let anyone go into my basement alone for fear that the only way I could find them would be by the eventual "smell".

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.