Some More DIY'er Questions

I plan on installing either a Vista 10 or Vista 15 very shortly. The house is rather small and I won't be using very many sensors so it appears the Vista 10 may be all I need. Can anyone talk me out of it and into either the 15 or 20? Are there any reasons not to go with the

10? Also can anyone break down for me the differnces between the models that end in SE, P or PS?

On a different subject what are my options on installing keypads? Are all Ademco keypads compatible with all panels? Ideally I want a wired keypad on the first floor and I think I want it to be the 6160V. I would then want another keypad in my bedroom on the second floor and if I understand correctly I can put a wireless keypad there. Some of the keypads however advertise having a wireless receiver built in. Would this keypad also need a wireless receiver to work? As you can tell I am confused by this point. And how about a recommendation on a second keypad.

Also when it comes to wireless door and window sensors other than aesthetics are there any drawbacks to using those really small recessed transmitters versus the larger external ones (or vice versa.)

Lastly I recall there being a post regarding Ademco (not sure if it was just the wireless ones) glassbreak sensors not being all that great and I believe the poster had recommended a better alternative (I believe it was Intellisense or Visonic.) If one of these do they make one which is compatible with Ademco wireless?

I appreciate your professional opinions as always.

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Reply to
nafhsuramai
Loading thread data ...

The SE is at the end of it's life cycle. You'd want the 10P unless you need more than 6 hw zones. | | On a different subject what are my options on installing keypads? Are | all Ademco keypads compatible with all panels? Ideally I want a wired | keypad on the first floor and I think I want it to be the 6160V. I | would then want another keypad in my bedroom on the second floor and if | I understand correctly I can put a wireless keypad there. Some of the | keypads however advertise having a wireless receiver built in. Would | this keypad also need a wireless receiver to work? As you can tell I | am confused by this point. And how about a recommendation on a second | keypad.

You need at least one programming keypad 6160 or the V will be fine. Although I'm not 100% sure the V works on the Vista 10P..you'd have to check on that.

The RF keypads are not wireless, you're getting confused. The 6128RF 6150RF etc are keypads with recievers for wireless built into them you still need to run wire from the panel to the keypad. There is a wireless keypad (no wires) but it has very limited ranges (I cant remember the model number). You can use a wireless keyfob kinda thing to arm/disarm/panic button thing from in the house and they have decent range. You'd need a reciever though.

| | Also when it comes to wireless door and window sensors other than | aesthetics are there any drawbacks to using those really small recessed | transmitters versus the larger external ones (or vice versa.) Yes, they have less range. What I have done in the past for people that objected to seeing the transmitters (but they really can be hidden pretty well) is install them in single gang electrical old-work cut in boxes below the window at outlet height and then blank plate them.

| | Lastly I recall there being a post regarding Ademco (not sure if it was | just the wireless ones) glassbreak sensors not being all that great and | I believe the poster had recommended a better alternative (I believe it | was Intellisense or Visonic.) If one of these do they make one which | is compatible with Ademco wireless?

I've not had trouble with any gbs that you mention, including the Ademco wireless ones.

| | | I appreciate your professional opinions as always. | | Thanks in advance! | | -Steve | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I have 3 Ademco wireless glass breaks turned up to max sensitivity and haven't had any issues in terms of false alarms or other malfunctions. Of course, I haven't broken any glass to see if they actually work either. There's a tester you can get to simulate the glass break frequency, but it was pretty expensive. And since I'm not relying on the glass breaks as primary security, I wasn't too worried about it.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

You will probably always have problems like that...shower doors, sqeeky clothes dryers, keys falling in a stainless-steel kitchen sink etc. I had one lady who could sneeze at the right frequency. I don't consider these problems with the detector, since I've had things like that happen with many different brands and models...you have to consider placement and appropriate use...and get rid of screaming kids.

| > | > | > | > I have 3 Ademco wireless glass breaks turned up to max sensitivity and | > haven't had any issues in terms of false alarms or other malfunctions. | > Of course, I haven't broken any glass to see if they actually work | > either. There's a tester you can get to simulate the glass break | > frequency, but it was pretty expensive. And since I'm not relying on | > the glass breaks as primary security, I wasn't too worried about it. | > | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

The sensitivity setting will effect battery life? Kinda sorta maybe makes sense. I always start out with them set to max, not sure I've noticed diminished battery life though...but then again I only have abt 50 of them out there, not really enough to see a pattern.

| | | I have 3 Ademco wireless glass breaks turned up to max sensitivity and | haven't had any issues in terms of false alarms or other malfunctions. | Of course, I haven't broken any glass to see if they actually work | either. There's a tester you can get to simulate the glass break | frequency, but it was pretty expensive. And since I'm not relying on | the glass breaks as primary security, I wasn't too worried about it. | | You WILL however have greatly reduced battery life if those are 5849's | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I have 3 Ademco wireless glass breaks turned up to max sensitivity and haven't had any issues in terms of false alarms or other malfunctions. Of course, I haven't broken any glass to see if they actually work either. There's a tester you can get to simulate the glass break frequency, but it was pretty expensive. And since I'm not relying on the glass breaks as primary security, I wasn't too worried about it.

You WILL however have greatly reduced battery life if those are 5849's

Reply to
Mark Leuck

As mentioned before, the RF keypads need a wire but can receive transmissions from wireless devices.

The wireless keypad (5839?) needs an Ademco 5883 transceiver - sort of pricey. Your better option would be an rf keypad as a secondary and use keyfobs. If you can get into your attic above the master bedroom it may be worth seeing if you can get from the attic to the area you are puting your panel.

You can also hide the transmitters behind the window trim. If you can figure a way to hide the transmitter you may want to consider going this route as with the 5816's you can use a smaller mer aesthetic contact and just run the wire to the transmitter. Everything is a decoration....

We install the ademco's and I haven't had many problems. Ones that are in problem areas, kitchens, mudrooms places like that, I will discuss with the customer programming them as interior zones and making them active on night-stay. That way, if the alarm is armed while they are up and moving about the GB's don't false and they can arm them when they go to bed. Alleviates quite a few problems.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Warren

On those it does, check the install manual

| | | I have 3 Ademco wireless glass breaks turned up to max sensitivity and | haven't had any issues in terms of false alarms or other malfunctions. | Of course, I haven't broken any glass to see if they actually work | either. There's a tester you can get to simulate the glass break | frequency, but it was pretty expensive. And since I'm not relying on | the glass breaks as primary security, I wasn't too worried about it. | | You WILL however have greatly reduced battery life if those are 5849's | |

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Why should it take more current?

Is it like ........... listening HARDER?

You'd think the adjustment would be like a volume control/variable resistor. It should simply attenuate/divide the incomming signal.

battery life though...but then again I only have abt 50 of them out there, not really enough to see a pattern.

Reply to
Jim

Unless it increases a timed sampling window?..that would make sense. Haven't had time to check da sheet on it. It makes sense that pirs eat batteries and doors that are opened 100 times a day. If the gb's sensitivity increases somekind of timed sampling rate..makes sense.

Crash Gord> The sensitivity setting will effect battery life? Kinda sorta maybe makes sense.

Why should it take more current?

Is it like ........... listening HARDER?

You'd think the adjustment would be like a volume control/variable resistor. It should simply attenuate/divide the incomming signal.

battery life though...but then again I only have abt 50 of them out there, not really enough to see a pattern.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

had time to check da sheet on it. It makes sense that pirs eat batteries and doors that are opened 100 times a day. If the gb's sensitivity increases somekind of timed sampling rate..makes sense.

Hmmm, yeah, .............maybe that's it.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.