new pad

I have an ADT system installed. I believe it's really an Vista 20P system rebranded by ADT. I am currently using the safewatch pro 3000 keypad... it's fixed english. Works fine but...

I would like to do things like review the log and maybe program a few new devices (or zones or monitors or "enrolled" devices or whatever the heck you call them). Is it possible for me to buy a 6160 pad online and install it without having to program the system? I mean, can I just swap pads by connecting the wires or is there "install code" work to be done (i.e. the pad is a type of enrolled device that must somehow register with the control panel)?

I'm open to ADT doing the work... but you sure pay a premium to have them do anything. I mean, $70 just to add a new window sensor? The

6160 costs about $100 bucks online... so I suspect ADT would charge me about $300!!!!

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
fenwayfool
Loading thread data ...

Your monitoring/service contract with ADT forbids you to tamper with your system's parameters (other than setting additional access codes). If you screw something up, it will be a whole lot more expensive for ADT to "fix" that a quick call to add another window sensor. I would definitely read the fine print in your contract as it appears you haven't done so yet. Call ADT. Depending on what you want done and how long you've been a customer they're usually pretty reasonable about service charges to add protection.

Reply to
Frank Olson

You could replace the fixed keypad with a 6160 but the adress has to be the same usually 16 on 20 p you need to hit 3and 1 together to get the number and adress the 6160 to that number and it should work fine make sure wires are hoked up properly and make sure your not violating the system warranty adt gave you.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I don't know much about Ademco products but man..... If you've got a=20 problem paying someone $70.00 to add a new contact to your alarm=20 system,

I guess you must have gotten one of those "Free" systems, and think=20 that everything related to an alarm system isn't worth a damn thing.

So ... lets see, if you can buy the keypad on line for $100.00 is=20 that what you think ADT should charge you to install it? Or maybe,=20 you'd be good enough to give them.... what? maybe .....ummm $50.00 for=20 the tech's time? Or might you consider that it takes a van, plus=20 insurarnce for the van. Maintenence for the van. Benefits for the=20 installer. Tools. Keeping an inventory in the van.Liability insurance.=20 etc etc etc. But yeah, sure, maybe $50.00 ought to cover it. Or ....=20 you could come here and find out how to do it yourself and muck it all=20 up and then come back again and see if anyone here would be willing to=20 help you get out of the mess you've made. Or ultimately have to call=20 ADT and they'll charge you $200.00 to fix you back up and if you=20 really mucked it up ....... at the same time you'd give them an=20 opportunity to charge you for the balance of your contract due=20 now, ..........because your broke the warranty.

$70.00 is TOO MUCH ...???????? Jeeeeeze! What do you have an alarm system for? You obviously don't have enough=20 money to buy anything that anyone would want to steal.

Reply to
Jim

ADT's not gonna let you do much in the way of "enrolling" devices or adding zones or anything regarding real programming.

Save yourself some time and money and let ADT do it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

To do what you want might mean a total swap out of all the ADT gear (if you can get out of your contract.) with like gear of your own. Then you could add what you want to the system. The Vista 20P(S) is sold in a kit form that would get you started. There is a guy that posts here that has his own on line store. He could give you more details I am sure. Other than tha most alarm companies aren't going to fool with an ADT system with a valid contract.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Yeah... If you owned a service company what would you charge to roll a truck and pay the technician?

Forget about the cost of the part, you're paying for professional wiring (which you do not have the tools to do correctly), and programming.

What makes you think ADT should come out and add protection to your system at a loss? Do you really think they should charge you just $2, the cost of the window contact? $70 is a bargain.. a plumber would charge that just to show up and give an estimate.

It's really not your fault... ADT and Brinks trained consumers to think that security systems are "free", if you pay the monitoring... But remember, the initial system is a "loss leader". It takes on average close to 24 months to recover the initial investment of installation. Real coverage of the protected premise is going to cost more than 99 bucks, and you would be ignorant to think otherwise. These companies are after RMR (recurring monthly revenue), they are not interested in how much protection devices are helping you.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks, Nick. After reading the programmers guide that's what I figured. I think my key fob presents another hurdle.

Seems like a lot of people who work in the security industry read this board, eh? :-)

For the record, I do think $70 for a single wireless sensor is too much. I would prefer it if the security companies would make the devices easier to use and then simply sell extras online. For example, I can buy a pack of wireless sensors on eBay (10 for $200)... that's $20 each folks. Then I could add them myself. ADT makes $200, and my inner control freak is happy. :-) If people can put a wireless LinkSys router in their home, they can stick a sensor on a window and add its address to the panel.

Just seems to me that most of what makes doing this stuff yourself comes from security thru obscurity... and it does not have to be that way... unless of course, you install alarm systems for a living... which is fine. I prefer to do it myself.

Thanks again, Nick.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
fenwayfool

Only 70 bucks for a wireless xmtr? Sheesh that's ridiculously cheap. I charge 70 for the xmtr and then l hr labor to install (includes travel time)

| > "fenwayfool" wrote in messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | >

| >

| >

| > >I have an ADT system installed. I believe it's really an Vista 20P | > > system rebranded by ADT. I am currently using the safewatch pro 3000 | > > keypad... it's fixed english. Works fine but... | >

| > > I would like to do things like review the log and maybe program a few | > > new devices (or zones or monitors or "enrolled" devices or whatever | > > the heck you call them). Is it possible for me to buy a 6160 pad | > > online and install it without having to program the system? I mean, | > > can I just swap pads by connecting the wires or is there "install | > > code" work to be done (i.e. the pad is a type of enrolled device that | > > must somehow register with the control panel)? | >

| > > I'm open to ADT doing the work... but you sure pay a premium to have | > > them do anything. I mean, $70 just to add a new window sensor? The | > > 6160 costs about $100 bucks online... so I suspect ADT would charge me | > > about $300!!!! | >

| > > Thanks for any help.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text - |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Listen to Mr. Markowitz-he's a well respected Dealer with years of EXPERIENCE: which you lack. He also is highly experienced with ADEMCO Products. Violate ADT's Contract like has been stated and be prepared for shit to hit the fan.

Yes they do- and they come across people like you everyday.

For MY record I'm sick of Customers looking for something for nothing! But I bet you pay $85/hr to your car mechanic; $49.99 a month for cable, How about a cell phone? Oh, those are ok charges. The sensor may COST ADT $30- should THEY drive to your house, install it and test it for $40? No problem- no overhead: gas, mileage, insurance, Workman's Comp, parts acquisition, training etc- that's all FREE!

I would prefer it if the security companies would make the

Security Companies (ie Dealers/Installers) don't MAKE the Devices so they don't have anything to do with "making it easier". That's the Manufacturers job! Yes you can buy "extras" from some here that play DIY."Proceed with Caution" There is some difficulty to programming systems- IT"S WHY IT"S MADE FOR PROFESSIONALS WITH TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE.

For example, I can buy a pack of wireless sensors on eBay (10 for $200)...

I can buy them there too. Problem is I have no assurance that what I'm buying works, and I have no recourse if it doesn't. That's why Legitimate dealers buy from reputable sources like supply houses: SOME of which only sell to Licensed Contractors.

Then I could add them myself. Yes, you could TRY- and may alter something else unwittingly, negate something, put your property and family at risk; all because YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOUR'E DOING! Difference is I'm TRAINED IN HOW TO USE THEM, INSTALL THEM PROPERLY, TEST ALL OF IT PROPERLY AND HAVE A BALL ATTACHED TO MY LEG- A LICENSE WHICH MAKES ME RESPONSIBLE AND ACCOUNTABLE FOR IT!

ADT makes $200,

I'm sure you want to DIY your Central Station too: For $5.00 a month, your cost.

If people can put a

Yeah, and you can get in the cockpit of a 747 and fly that too- cause you were up in a Cessna 152 once. "Just stick it on a window" and add an address- NO, there is a bit more to it that that! That GOD you don't fart with Fire Alarms- or do you?

Yep It's not designed with the homeowner in mind for CRITICAL programming.

... and it does not have to be that

Who says- You're the new expert installer?

.. unless of course, you install alarm systems for a living...

I do, and Yes I'm fine with it too. I prefer to do it myself. And I prefer that homeowners not FUCK with stuff they know nothing about. Does your car mechanic let you use his garage and tools for free to fix your transmission by yourself? Does you Cable Company let you run the line from the pole to your house so you can save the service call$? Bottom line- stop being a cheap SOB and let a Professional handle it- Whether ADT or someone else- their job is knowing the RIGHT WAY TO DO IT! Oh yeah "fenwayfool" - Bill Buckner Forever!

Reply to
secure15

methinks somebody is pulling somebody else leg when 'fool' says ADT will install a wireless xmitter for $70 on a system they don't monitor.

Reply to
pulic emeny

MeHead said the same thing when I read it!

Reply to
secure15

ADT guy came out and quoted me $70 a sensor for some upgrades... IF I sign up for monitoring.

Me thinks you are an idot who likes to talk before knowing the facts.

For those of you out there who are NOT security "experts"... these guys are like freaking used car salesmen! Take what they say with a grain of salt. They are just trying to make a living... I'm just trying to update a security system. WOW. What a PITA!

This would be my last post. Bye!

messagenews:45bf60ea$0$10309$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net...

Reply to
fenwayfool

Reply to
Roland Moore

looks like I was right! they wouldn't do it on a system they were not monitoring for $70! guess I won't have to polish my crystal ball after all.

tsk, tsk, do you always resort to name calling when you don't get something for nothing? maybe you should have included the facts in the op?

very few in this group are trying to make a a living here, this is mainly for kicks and giggles.

If you think this is a PITA try upgrading your security system by yourself!

buh bye

Reply to
pulic emeny

how are you gonna save money if you spend $200 to get what ADT will do for $70?

how does ADT make $200? To sell them for $20 they would have to buy truck loads and store them in their warehouse, then ship them, that all costs $.

Reply to
pulic emeny

that's a great idea. 'fool' can start a new paradigm in the security biz where he stocks all the parts and ships them at a loss to end users to install themselves and we can all buy from him [till he goes out of business] for less than we pay wholesale. :)

Reply to
pulic emeny

how do ya like that. guy comes here and ask a question with about 1\\2 the pertinent information needed to answer and then editorialized about how much money we should be making. gets what looks like some pretty good answers and then starts calling names because he doesn't like the answers. Interesting strategy, how's that working for ya?

By the way what do you do for a living? Maybe we could venture an opinion about what we think you should be making?

formatting link

Reply to
EyeBee

What's an idot?

B-bye, now. js

Reply to
alarman

Hi Russell,

Sorry for the ill manners of a few folks in the security newsgroup. You can replace the keypad if you like. Nick's advice concerning the procedure is correct.

Adding wireless sensors, keyfobs, etc., is another thing. To do that you need access to programming. ADT won't give you the code even if you own the system. Unless you get someone to default the system for you the only alternative is to replace the board.

Board replacement on a Vista-20P is fairly simple. You need to label the wires before removing them. Make notes about what is in each zone before you start. That will make setting up the replacement panel easier.

Once you have a board (existing or replacement) that you can access you can make any changes you like.

Contact me if you need help.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.