Sprinklers - Pressure relief

Since water expands and contracts and there is a check valve or anti backflow valve how is that pressure relieved

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
nick markowitz

Ok, but how is the pressure relieved in a sprinkler system from the expansion and contraction of the water trapped in the system?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

don't know about sprinklers but my hot water heater has an air tank.:)

Reply to
pulic emeny

Sprinkler system pressure is usually regulated by street water pressure. Since sprinkler systems are designed to handle the 3 times the highest possible water pressure from the city water supply, you don't need to worry about over pressure at all.

The check valves or backflow preventers are there to make sure the system holds its highest possible street pressure at all times in case city water supply falls low, due to drought, or high demands.

Since the check valves & backflow preventors prevent water from leaving the system, often times the water gets stagnet, and gets heavy soot from oil & mineral deposits. During an annual inspection, the inspectors test valve is opened to simulate a head trigger. This should trigger the waterflow switch, and generate an alarm, after 45 seconds.

It is a good idea to leave the inspectors test valve open for a couple of minutes, or until the water turns clear. I have been on inspections where the water comes out pitch black and has a real fowl odor.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

So how much do you charge Robert for inspecting his sprinkler?

Reply to
Frank Olson

If he can keep it running past 45 seconds...no charge. :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

"Jim Rojas" a écrit dans le message de news:

45c1466a$0$28160$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Here the common practice is to leave the maximum of old water in the system,to prevent new water full of oxygen to come in and help detoriate the plumbing....

well that what's the sprinkler guys I know told me..

Reply to
Petem

Sprinkler pipes should last 100+ years. I think he was pulling your leg.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

[sigh]

They must have had a good laugh after they left.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: 9tSdnbIlXt73xl_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

not as much as us,we will all have a good laugh......but not you....

Reply to
Petem

well there a lot of sprinkler guys that talked about it,and not just to me...so maybe...

"Jim Rojas" a écrit dans le message de news:

45c1e8d1$0$17004$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...
Reply to
Petem

I have a theory

I believe somewhere somehow there is a large group of people who do nothing but tell other people stupid things like this, nobody knows who they are, nobody can mention names, nobody can say what they look like because they are hand-picked to blend in.. They are just those "Someone once told me...." guys with the only goal of passing out massive amounts of dis-information

However in your case these people didn't fill your head with stupid things like this, instead you thought it up all by your demented self. In reality you don't know any sprinkler guys and you never had any conversation about

100 year old pipes, in reality you are just a common french idiot

Reply to
Mark Leuck

It is case that I completely agree with something Leuck says. This is one of those cases.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

oxygen in the water has merit.

*** Oh, yeah. Those iron-eating bacteria are a real problem. They eat up pipes in dry systems from the inside out. That's why iron exposed to air rusts so much faster than iron submerged in water. Hahahahahahahahaha.

The referenced website is a rip-off.

*** Note to ASA morons: The first paragraph is sarcasm.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

It is more than likely that cheap thin steel or substandard piping was used. I have been under the Brooklyn Bridge many times. Some of those pipes are

150+ years old and close to 1 inch thick. I guess it all comes down to the quality materials.

You might want to try PVC sprinkler piping or convert to a dry system, if corrosion is an issue.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Hmm. I wonder if the local AHJ would approve of PVC for fire suppression. The stuff melts at a fairly low temperature.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Jim, are you saying that the water actually smelled like chickens? ;-)

Reply to
Jim

Yes...dead chickens

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Someone told me that if you put strawberry Jello in the pipes it will keep them from corroding for over 138 years EDT.

| > > Jim Rojas | > >

| > >

| > >> "Jim Rojas" a écrit dans le message de news: | > >> 45c1466a$0$28160$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com... | > >>> It is a good idea to leave the inspectors test valve open for a couple | > >>> of minutes, or until the water turns clear. I have been on inspections | > >>> where the water comes out pitch black and has a real fowl odor. | > >>

| > >> Here the common practice is to leave the maximum of old water in the | > >> system,to prevent new water full of oxygen to come in and help | detoriate | > >> the plumbing.... | > >>

| > >> well that what's the sprinkler guys I know told me.. | > >>

| > >>

| > >>

| > >

| > >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.