Question on DLS software

SIA version, remember last time I was out there I mentioned it, took DSC long enough

Reply to
Mark Leuck
Loading thread data ...

I have it on good authority they retained the bridge rectifier problem just for you and Jack :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Oh, cripes, here we go again.....another "version". I hope this one has all the bugs worked out...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I know. I thought they were through with 5010 revisions, and decided to make the 5020 the new panel of choice. I like the daylight saving time feature if nothing else, although it looks like congress is going to muck with that now. Grrr... js

Reply to
alarman

Aaaagh.....must have taken the design from the 5010 that caught on fire for one of my customers, and was taken by the DSC technical director when he was visiting at Tried.....:( (...still didn't get the replacement board he said he was going to send me....)

Seriously, though, the current version of the 5010 handles SIA format; why is anyone suggesting a new version to add this format ?

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

It's not a new SIA format its a new panel to comply with SIA standards relating to entry/exit delay restrictions, dialer delay etc.

For instance it now has a 15 second minimum dialer delay, 30 second minimum entry delay etc, same thing went for the 1555 v3.2. Honeywell and GE also have SIA complient panels now. Some of it makes sense but some of it is stupid and will be annoying to customers in my opinion

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I never could understand why they didn't put out a new version sooner, the current 5010 v2 is about 8 years old and in that time the 1555 has had 4 new versions. They should have at least updated it in that time to do auto CID

Reply to
Mark Leuck

As a bicyclist I can't wait for 2007, means more daylight to ride after work

BTW The 5020 was designed to replace the 4010 not the 5010

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Is v 2.0 what DSC is shipping now?

Reply to
Armond Perretta

Maybe, but it's a lot more like the 5010 that the MaxSys. js

Reply to
alarman

As far as I know, I've not run into the 3.2's yet but all the documentation is on DSC's web site

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Thanks ! That's the first time I've heard any kind of explanation of that kind. Thinking back when I was using the DOS software, I don't remember these kinds of connection problems, so I expect there's a lot to what you say.

I have to wonder why it seems to only pertain to DSC hardware. I don't have these problems with the Paradox panels, either the old DOS level software or the newer Windows based software. Perhaps it's because everything is newer, in that this company is only about 10 or so years old.

You don't paint a very pretty picture. There are a lot of reasons lately why I'm steering completely away from DSC unless there is a specific reason to install it. I guess this is simply one more reason....:((

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I disagree on the common part, it does happen but its been very rare and we download countless panels daily. All versions of the 5010, 1555, 5020 etc

Reply to
Mark Leuck

This is a very common problem that DSC is well aware of and simply refuses to do anything about because they continue to claim that 99.99% of the dealers never upload/download their panels. Once upon a time I conducted a so-so poll in my area and found that they were pretty much correct - most dealers have no use for the upload/download features and never ever use them. Most of the 'dealers' in every area are now simply trunkslammers who couldn;t care less about upload/download - the only thing that matters to these guys is can they sell their paper from some new nail parlor or bagel store or drycleaning substation before it goes out of buiness. They don't plan to ever see that customer again and sure as heck will never dial up that account.

So, the manufacturers play along, the panels all have upload/download and it works to a certain degree in each companys' panel but when it doesn't things get very cloudy and support gets very iffy.

Have you tried a different computer? Do you have our very own 'special' modem? Have you ever been able to connect with this particular panel before? Do you have an old 286 computer from 1985 that you could try with it? This is not very helpful tech support.

In the case of 5010s or 1555s simply drive out there and replace the board for the second or third time until you find one that works and take the rest back to your distributor and watch him pitch the bad boards into his 55 gallon drum running over with other bad DSC boards.

If you plan on using the upload/download features on a board always test this feature on the board on your bench in your shop while you are testing all of the boards other features. Never ever go and install a board you haven't benchtested first. And always take at least two boards and two keypads with you.

Having said all that there is a trick that most often works when you get that dreaded 'unknown panel' or 'panel not supported' or 'panel not responding' message on 1575s, 5010s, 1555s, 1550s, 2550s and 2007s.

In the case of 2007s you are probably missing the project number and the panel stops responding at that point - put either the correct project number in or the default project number in (the software doesn;t put in the default number) and that will fix that.

In the case of all the other panels find yourself an old slow computer - an old cheap junk laptop will do nicely - a 286 running a 20 mhz is fine and use DSC's old dos software. It supports 5010s and 4020s and 1575s etc but it doesn't look flashy and it is pretty clunky but it works. Then when you can't connect using your fast computer running xp pro try the old slow one and you will discover that it works every darn time. The problem is not line noise - its the speed - its too darn fast for those old slow public domain communication routines. Everything is based on the Bell 102 standard which operates very nicely at 10 baud thank you very much and they get over run pretty fast at high speeds. Certain old 2550s are bad about this and the first 1575s aslo hate the windows crap and some 1550s are simply not suppoerted in windows. Trust me I got all of them out there...550s, 1000s,

2000,s 2500s... lots of en's

Now you can either go and replace the boards all the time and bring them back to test them and find nothing wrong most of the time or you can use an old computer and be happy and save a lot of gas. The one exception is the newer 5010s with the v3.2 firmware (all the other 5010s have v2.1 or v2.5 in them) and DSC says there will not be any dos software upgrades to any new versions of anything - dos is dead as far as they are concerned. Its just like their old single and two line receivers - you must buy completely new ones to do internet monitoring. You can't upgrade them either and you paid thousands of dollars and they need a $50. mod to work over the internet.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

I wish I could get Paradox panels locally so I could give them a try. I wouldn't use Napco on a bet but I have been looking into their new internet module and the monitoring software. Every time you turn around GE is doing something stupid to drive away any Caddx users. Filling up the Home Depots with cheap Simons was not good for me. And you are right the other panels do not have the connection problems you see with DSC.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

Um... attitude? js

Reply to
alarman

How is GE driving away Caddx users?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Now see I thought he was talking transportation or something

Reply to
Mark Leuck

the last time I called tech support at GE the guy I talked to definately had attitude and seemed to not be wanting to bother with answering my questions about the 'issues' with the Nx V2 panels.

Reply to
moe

If it was going to be a replacement, dont you think they would have made it compatible with the keypads and modules? Well, lets just see what the NEW panels are going to be like. there are i belive 3 new panels comming out, one is suposed to have unlimited zones totally modular just keep adding modules and the zone count keeps going up.

Terry

------------------------------- Securitech Security Services Ontario, Canada

formatting link

-------------------------------

"We started the under $10 thing, So... shut up!"

Reply to
Securitech

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.