PR: Brinks vs. Tech-man.com

Reply to
Roland Moore
Loading thread data ...

They'd wind up more confused after two hours on the phone, but perhaps they'd luck out and actually get the "inside scoop" on how to program a Napco LCD keypad to read "Attention Burglar" on one line and "Go Ahead, Make My Day" on the next. They'd also probably get the urge to open their own online store (or perhaps "work from home" for Hass Bome).

Reply to
Frank Olson

I didn't say it's prohibitive. I only said that anti-takeover is *the* primiary rewason for programming lockout codes.

That's *your* reason, but you're honest. Now think for a moment about all the scammers and rip-off companies you compete with. Remember a certain unlicensed installing dealer right in your area? How about all the low-lifes in the association who protected them, despite knowing they operated illegally?

Aside from the inoirdinate percentage of crooks in the industry, let's examine what the manufacturers say about their products. Remember, these companies are not marketing to homeowners. Their target audience is us dealers.

FBII refers to the lockout code in their literature as an "CSID and installer code, anti-takeover feature". This is an age-old "feature" of alarm panels and it has always been touted as such be the manufacturers because they know that's why the dealers demanded the feature. Even the old Discovery system made several references in the manual to "an anti-takeover" featre, namely the lockout code.

The ultra-modern ELK-M1 sports it. From the manual: "ELK-RP programming utilizes extensive error checking and security safeguards, including data encryption, password log-on, serial number, and dealer assigned RP access code. The serial # identifies the control to RP while the RP access code identifies the computer to the control prior to a programming session. RP loads the access code during the first connection. It cannot be viewed or changed from local keypad programming. In addition to these safeguards, you can set an anti-takeover option from RP which prevents certain keypad programming. Even a total default of the panel programming cannot reset the anti-takeover option once it is set..."

Manufacturers don't market the feature as an "anti-liability lawsuit because your customer screwed up" feature. They market it as "anti-takeover" because they know what will conveince dealers to buy the product.

Speaking of litigation, I'd like to see just one of the folks who say this "feature" is to prevent liability cite a single lawsuit arising from a client havine reprogrammed his own alarm. Most of us have been in the industry for many years. I, for one, have been a dealer for nearly 30 years and I love to study case law -- aespecially alarm company related case law, yet I've never heard of a single such case.

Allan, we've been friends for years. You know I respect your personal integrity so please don't take this as reflecting on you but I know for a fact that the vast majority lock customer out to make it harder to switch and for no other purpose.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

primiary rewason for programming lockout codes.

Not a whole lot of dealers use them. It's been a very long while since I came across a panel that was actually "locked out". Most alarm dealers use a secure "dealer code" (unique installer code). If the dealer doesn't default the codes when the customer cancels it's a relatively simple matter to default the control and reprogram it.

scammers and rip-off companies you compete with.

all the low-lifes in the association who protected

You mean like you did for four years?

what the manufacturers say about their products.

audience is us dealers.

Bass, you're a moron. These days consumers are far more savvy about what's "out there". Most will have already picked the system they want before they even call a dealer for quote. I've never employed programming lock-out on any panel, and I don't know of a dealer in Vancouver that does use them. You continue to "promote" your Mantra in a forum in which you know the predominant number of participants are alarm dealers and installers. Go peddle your bullshit in CHA. The people there simply "eat up" everything you say.

code, anti-takeover feature". This is an age-old

manufacturers because they know that's why the dealers

in the manual to "an anti-takeover" featre, namely the

So??

utilizes extensive error checking and security safeguards,

RP access code. The serial # identifies the control

a programming session. RP loads the access code

programming. In addition to these safeguards, you can

Even a total default of the panel programming cannot

Big whoop!!

your customer screwed up" feature. They market it as

That's out and out poppy-c*ck. Manufacturers don't actively "market" the feature. Some national dealers have insisted they provide it as a "deterrent" to another company simply waltzing in and taking over. You'll notice the biggest advocates for employing the "feature" have now been provided with customized firmware which makes taking over the specific panel virtually impossible (even *if* the lock-out code is "cracked").

"feature" is to prevent liability cite a single lawsuit

in the industry for many years. I, for one, have

alarm company related case law, yet I've never heard

I don't give a rat's ass what you think or how much "law" you've "studied". Considering that you're a convicted felon makes anything you say pretty well irrelevant, and I would *never* suggest anyone base an installation business on your "model" anyway.

integrity so please don't take this as reflecting on you but

to switch and for no other purpose.

Bullshit.

Reply to
Frank Olson

For one thing you are quoting me and I never mentioned lockout codes in that message, if you'd bother to read the original it was over proprietary panels

lockout codes is to make it more difficult for homeowneres to

streamlining anything.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Exactly, and the original post was about a proprietary Brinks panel, with the price of a panel and keypad these days lockout codes or proprietary panels mean little to prevent takeovers

streamlining

Reply to
Mark Leuck

He has you filtered, he has me filtered too. He's responding to quoted text. I'm not filtered under his 'accountin ho' account though. I guess his responses largely depend on what 'ho' he is that day.

Reply to
G. Morgan

He does not have me filtered

Reply to
Mark Leuck

He's not informing us of his plonking activity anymore.

How else do you explain the reply in : Message-ID:

Reply to
G. Morgan

You must be drunk and missed half the threads we've been in the last few days

Reply to
Mark Leuck

maybe that's why he's accused of never answering the phone...online with a homeowner trying tp program a napco panel.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Napco's Gemini series panels are easy to program using Napco's software. I teach people how to use the software. I also ask that they read the manuals *before* asking questions. That usually keeps the questions down to a few.

BTW, the most frequently asked questions are about the purpose of (1) follower zones and (2) partitioning. Most DIYers can learn the basics in an hour, install a typical system in a weekend or two and learn to program it in an afternoon.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I teach people how to use the software. I also ask that

questions down to a few.

Thats because they are spending the next few months reading 3 fairly thick manuals

follower zones and (2) partitioning. Most DIYers can learn

learn to program it in an afternoon.

If those are the most questions they ask you have a far deeper problem going on

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Speak for yourself. Most people can read them and get a basic understanding in an hour.

Apparently you do have a reading comprehension problem. I said hose are the most frequently asked questions -- not the only ones asked.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I think he sells to folks off a MENSA mailing list. Napco is one of the more difficult panels to learn to program, especailly the old MA3000. The GEM3200, GEM9600 and x255 are not much easier. If you create a template for someone to modify that might help. If a DIY could program a panel correctly (no flags on error check and sent all signals to cental properly) on his first time try I would offer that guy a job on the spot.

Reply to
Roland Moore

It helps to be a "rocket scientist". :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Come on Roland,now be fair,the Napco family of product is not that hard to understand,even a frenchy like me can do it...

"Roland Moore" a écrit dans le message de news:

3EI5h.11004$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com...
Reply to
Petem

Napco's current software makes it much easier. When you create a new account it takes you through all of the screens in order. I spend a few minutes on the phone explaining what the functions are for and which ones are / are not neeeded. Then I explain how to configure the zones and execute the download. It doesn't take long. FWIW, in 30 years in this industry I've yet to meet an installer who beloinged to Mensa. Most have not finished high school. I have, however, met plenty of DIYers with engineering degrees, some of whom have been Mensa members too.

Reply to
news.comcast.net

That would be better than a non-pilot claiming to have snap-rolled a 737.

Reply to
news.comcast.net

First off, I see that your "source" of information concerning me is still the "Bass Home Gazette" a rag that spews lies, unsubstantiated remarks, and innuendo much like the "National Enquirer" only "Bass Home's" "readership" is limited to the one "writer" on staff (you), so I don't put much "stock" in anything you have to say about anyone here.

Secondly, I never "claimed" anything of the sort.

Thirdly; You sir, are an Ass.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.