OT: Nice story. Don't know if true but...

A nurse took the tired, anxious young man to the bedside. "Your son's here," she said to the old man.

She had to repeat the words several times before the patient's eyes opened.

Heavily sedated because of the pain of his heart attack, he dimly saw the young uniformed young man standing outside the oxygen tent. He reached out his hand. The young man wrapped his toughened fingers around the old man's limp ones, squeezing a message of love and encouragement.

The nurse brought a chair so that the young man could sit beside the bed. All through the night the young Marine sat there in the poorly lighted ward, holding the old man's hand and offering him words of love and strength. Occasionally, the nurse suggested that the young man move away and rest a while.

He refused. Whenever the nurse came into the ward, the young man was oblivious of her and of the night noises of the hospital - the clanking of the oxygen tank, the laughter of the night staff members exchanging greetings, the cries and moan of the other patients.

Now and then she heard him say a few gentle words. The dying man said nothing, only held tightly to his son all through the night. Along towards dawn, the old man died. The young man released the now lifeless hand he had been holding and went to tell the nurse. While she did what she had to do, he waited.

Finally, she returned. She started to offer words of sympathy, but the young man interrupted her. "Who was that man?" he asked.

The nurse was startled, "He was your father." she answered.

"No, he wasn't," the young man replied. "I never saw him before in my life."

"Then why didn't you say something when I took you to him?"

"I knew right away there had been a mistake, but I also knew he needed his son, and his son just wasn't there.

When I realized that he was too sick to tell whether or not I was his son, knowing how much he needed me, I stayed."

begin 666 Robert L Bass.vcf M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..D)A

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

she said to the old man.

uniformed young man standing outside the oxygen

around the old man's limp ones, squeezing a message of

through the night the young Marine sat there in the

and strength. Occasionally, the nurse suggested that

of her and of the night noises of the hospital - the

greetings, the cries and moan of the other patients.

only held tightly to his son all through the night.

hand he had been holding and went to tell the nurse.

man interrupted her. "Who was that man?" he asked.

and his son just wasn't there.

knowing how much he needed me, I stayed."

It may or not be true Robert, but it is a nice story. Try reading a book series "Chicken Soup For The Soul", I liked it.

Look man, I really don't want you to die, Okay? I realize that my life is more complete with you to argue with. Get well Bro.

Reply to
G. Morgan

she said to the old man.

young uniformed young man standing outside the oxygen

around the old man's limp ones, squeezing a message of

through the night the young Marine sat there in the

and strength. Occasionally, the nurse suggested that

of her and of the night noises of the hospital - the

exchanging greetings, the cries and moan of the other patients.

only held tightly to his son all through the night.

hand he had been holding and went to tell the nurse.

man interrupted her. "Who was that man?" he asked.

son, and his son just wasn't there.

knowing how much he needed me, I stayed."

Jeeeeze ...... I guess you're thinking a lot more about dying lately ....... Huh?

Reply to
Jim

Maybe Graham should hold his hand.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Love, Medicine and Miracles: Lessons Learned about Self-Healing from a Surgeon's Experience with Exceptional Patients by Bernie S. Siegel

This helped my wife and I a lot!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

... and me a lot!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I have a copy of it. My father gave it to me. There are some really inspirational stories in it.

Me neither. I don't plan to any time soon either. They were able to remove the entire tumor ("negative margins" means there was no cancer beyond the surgical site). The chemo, while painful and frustrating, is being done to prevent a relapse because the cancer had invaded the blood vessels in the lung before it was removed.

Thanks. I'm doing my best. The doctors say my recovery from the surgery and my progress during the chemo has been spectacular though it certainly doesn't feel that way at times.

Hope you're fully recovered.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

| | Jeeeeze ...... I guess you're thinking a lot more about dying lately | ....... Huh?

If you think that's a unique thought; you ain't old enough to understand yet.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Nah. He's just too old to remember the last time he thought about it... like 5 minutes ago.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I don't think it's unique at all. It's just a way of diggin at the very fact that he's finally reached his just reward for being the nastiest son of a bitch I've ever come across. I relish the opportunity of rubbing his fat f****ng nose in the fact that he's gonna die and that I'm estatic about it. I'm just hoping that the son of a bitch dies a miserable long and painful death ..... that's all.

Now would you like to comment on how unique that statement is? Or did you get the point that I hope he's in misery for whats left of his miserable life and that I'll continue you remind him of it as short as he's around ?

Oh yeah .... "and if you don't like what I've said ..... There's not a damn thing you can do about it. If you don't like it ..... you can leave". Quote attributed to R.L. Bass.

Reply to
Jim

5 minutes ago.

Heh, yeh but it's really to bad you're not ever going to make it to my age.

You're a dead man and you deserve every bit of pain and misery you're going through.

Hey ....you done any reading on how often and how soon after lung cancer you get a reoccurrence yet? It got to your blood you say? Well hells bells. Do you know what the lymphatic system is? You got it good asshole and you're going down. Won't be too much longer afterward. Maybe about a year or so and you'll get that ooooold feeeeeeling. Yep yep yep! Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

Have a nice day! or however long you have left.

Oh did I forget to say Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy?

Well ... just in case Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

Reply to
Jim

You don't even remember your age.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Comment? Yah, I think your statements are demented, but that's just my opinion. I don't have to leave 'cause I don't care one way or the other how much you guys shit on each other.

| > If you think that's a unique thought; you ain't old enough to understand | > yet. | | I don't think it's unique at all. It's just a way of diggin at the very | fact that he's finally reached his just reward for being the nastiest | son of a bitch I've ever come across. I relish the opportunity of | rubbing his fat f****ng nose in the fact that he's gonna die and that | I'm estatic about it. I'm just hoping that the son of a bitch dies a | miserable long and painful death ..... that's all. | | Now would you like to comment on how unique that statement is? Or did | you | get the point that I hope he's in misery for whats left of his | miserable life and that I'll continue you remind him of it as short as | he's around ? | | Oh yeah .... "and if you don't like what I've said ..... There's not a | damn thing you can do about it. If you don't like it ..... you can | leave". Quote attributed to R.L. Bass. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If you don't care one way or the other, then I guess your opinion as to what wasn't unique, was just a sort of ........ slip of the fingers, eh?

So now that we've determined that I don't care what you think and you don't care what I think, .....perhaps in the future we should just leave it at that.

We seem to get along much better that way.

Reply to
Jim

That's not a problem you'll live long enough to have.... dead man.

Whats that again. R.L.Bass? Little did you realize that now you can be referred to as Rotten Lung Bass. Why don't you give us one big cough. Come on big boy ..... cough up a piece of two.

Can you feel that ol lymphatic system of yours carrying those little suckers through your body? Round and round they go ..... where they stop ...... only you'll know.

Reply to
Jim

I know it is near Holloween, but this sort of thing is far beyond creepy. I don't care to know the whole story of why Bass bugs you. Seems like most folks just ignore someone they find unpleasant for one reason or another. I ignore him. But that doesn't mean there is a single thing wrong with him. At worst he is an accomplished gadfly. To put someone as the most deserving guy of a gruesome and painful death is simply beyond the pale. Strange you should wish that on Bass, someone you apparently dislike so intensely. My doctor is always saddened when he says the nicest people get the worst diseases. So Bass must be a great guy then according to your wishes for him. The irony! I don't think you get out much. Just so you'll know some of the names in history that merit the kind of vilification you visit on Bass I'll throw out a few. So you may know something about, other perhaps not. Here are some really evil characters that more than deserved "every bit of pain and misery" they never got: Idi Amin - died at 80, Joe Stalin - 73, Papa Doc Duvalier about 64, Baby Doc is still kicking, Rafael Trujillo and Pol Pot about 70 and the list goes on nearly forever. So much for devine retribution. Guys that "get what thy have coming to them" are on a list that is far to short like Lavrenti Beria, Ted Bundy, Julius Caesar, Jeffrey Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy, Jr. and that "reward" comes at the hand of their fellow man. Speaking of devine retribution, to avoid a little of that yourself perhaps you should visit an oncology ward at a hospital near you tomorrow. Trust me, there are plenty of folks there that could use some company. When you get back home after your visit, if you're a person with any humanity at all, you'll be constructing an ass kicking machine for your stupid butt to be backing into. Yes blame it on your ass, your mouth should know better. Devine retribution to me is an oxymoron. Personally devine forgiveness is what I have been a heavy consumer of for far too long. I would suggest you try some, but not with me around because I'd be tempted into getting into your leftovers. If asked perhaps Bass, and millions of other cancer victims, would forgive you for suggesting any of them in any way merit the disease. And for good measure give all my good wishes, love and kisses (that won't make him puke anyway) to Bass. I hope he not only beats the cancer but lives long enough to be ashamed to admit how old he is.

"Jim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Roland Moore

Jim, be careful. Bass's cancer will do a better job of tormenting him than you could ever hope to do yourself, even if you were there to do it in person. That ought to be enough for you. Lung cancer is a very unpleasant way to die, and the survival rate is pretty low. When you wish additional pain and suffering on others, you may end up hurting yourself in the long run as well. You know the old saying, "what goes around, comes around." Think of Bass's suffering as cosmic justice if you like, but wishing more pain on him only hurts yourself. Let him go quietly. It's not like he's getting away with anything.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Fine with me. And I'm not sure where the unique came from either...could be I have 3 fingers that don't work so good anymore - or I misread something.

| >

| If you don't care one way or the other, then I guess your opinion as to | what wasn't unique, was just a sort of ........ slip of the fingers, | eh? | | So now that we've determined that I don't care what you think and you | don't care what I think, .....perhaps in the future we should just | leave it at that. | | We seem to get along much better that way. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

There was a man who worked for the Post Office whose job it was to process all the mail that had illegible addresses. One day, a letter came addressed in a shaky handwriting to God with no actual address. He thought he should open it to see what it was about. The letter read: "Dear God, I am an 83 year old widow, living on a very small pension. Yesterday someone stole my purse. It had $100 in it, which was all the money I had until my next pension check. Next Sunday is Christmas, and I had invited two of my friends over for dinner. Without that money, I have nothing to buy food with. I have no family to turn to, and you are my only hope. Can you please help me? Sincerely, Edna The postal worker was touched. He showed the letter to all the other workers. Each one dug into his or her wallet and came up with a few dollars. By the time he made the rounds, he had collected $96, which they put into an envelope and sent to the woman. The rest of the day, all the workers felt a warm glow thinking of Edna and the dinner she would be able to share with her friends. Christmas came and went. A few days later, another letter came from the same old lady to God. All the workers gathered around while the letter was opened. It read, "Dear God, How can I ever thank you enough for what you did for me? Because of your gift of love, I was able to fix a glorious dinner for my friends. We had a very nice day and I told my friends of your wonderful gift. By the way, there was $4 missing. I think it must have been those bastards at the Post Office

Reply to
RobertM

FURTHER PROOF THAT NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.

Reply to
Don

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.