X10 PR511 Motion/Floor light

As there seems to be no chit-chat here, other than a few spams, I though I might try to start something. I have 2 PR511 Motion Detector units, with the floodlight sockets removed. One is on a lamp post outside the house. It's relay (base code C11) turns on said lamp (CFL) in post fixture. It operates pretty much as an independent appliance module, as the "Thus Unit" switch is set to Dusk with the dusk/dawn setting set all the way to 'light' (for day and night operation). C12 is enabled on the unit. A Smarthome 1132CU decides what to do with the C12 ON or OFF ... turns on floods at proper times, ding-dongs most of the time (except during sleepy time), etc. I would like to make better use of the PR511. I would like the motion to activate +1 to +4 with the switches. Also the +5 to +8 should also be able to be used for dusk/dawn. I want the motion to work 24/7. And I want the internal module (C11 in my case) to be independent of the motion detector or dusk/dawn detector. I'm not against modifying the PR511, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel, if it's been done already. Has anyone tried anything like this? Also, does anyone know where I can buy a PR511 today? They are out of production. Thanks, and let the 100's of posts come through : )

Reply to
Art Todesco
Loading thread data ...

The 511 did not work well. It screwed up big time. Wind would activate it regularly with it's single sensor motion design. This style of motion detection went out of style 3 months after they were invented due to non-reliability.

Reply to
Josepi

Reply to
Art Todesco

Here's a link. The price has gone up..

formatting link

I have used 10 of these around the house for years. Have had to replace the m often, very often. The quality of design and construction does not lend t hem to be reliable. But, there is nothing else that I can purchase that do es what it does. Three of mine are now not working as I have stopped repla cing them with the price increase.. Guess it is about time I come up with a work around. Good luck.

Reply to
sawadee2u

Well, as I started this thread almost a year ago, I'll keep going. I have replace my motion detector with a 2 unit, across the driveway, detector, an Optex AX-70 unit. The output, which is a closed circuit, feeds a 555 timer, which is set for about 5 minutes. When the beam is interrupted, the 555 output changes and operates an x10 powerflash module, which in turn, sends out an x10 signal. This signal is then interpreted by an 1132CU. Depending on time of day, etc., it will turn on the house floods and/or operate an x10 chime (not when I'm sleeping). BTW, the 555 time prevents multiple triggers when we are just working in the area and passing through the beam multiple times. But the good thing is that I never get triggers from cool breezes from up the mountain. I have never gotten false triggers from animals, although I know a deer or a bear might be tall enough to interrupt the beam. One of the original PR511s is still mounted on a lamp post and is now only being used as an appliance module for the lamp. I will be changing it to wall switch module or something similar. The other PR511 is set up for portable use and is used at Halloween and Christmas for decorations. At Christmas, it turns on a bunch of red and green flood lights along the driveway and saves a bunch of electricity not having them on all the time.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.