PIR Defeat, What To Use?

Watched how to defeat a PIR device on television last night. Way too easy. What do you guys recommend to replace it with?

Reply to
Jen...tel
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Michelle

You're not going to defeat a PIR that I'VE set up... if you've gotten past my perimeter security.... and if you've gotten past the various interior "traps" that I've set...

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Note that they only defeated a simple PIR, not a Microwave PIR :) Also they moved very fast accross the room, I think the same creep method that they used on the sonic detector could have worked too, certainley one of my old ones i used to be able to sneak up on it without setting it off...

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

Ah, good point didn't realize that. But can we really get installed only microwave units? I thought, they were both IR and MW. If that's so, don't you still need the IR to activate along with the MW to get an alarm? If they defeated the IR by preventing it from seeing the IR given off by a person, even if the MW actvated, wouldn't it still not go into alarm because there will never be an IR detection? I'm not in the alarm business so I may be way off base and confusing myself. Thanks.

Reply to
Jen...tel

Combination Microwave/PIR motion sensors, known as "Dual-Tech" motion sensors, are set so that each technology is more sensitive, but requiring both to trip to activ ate the relay.

BTW- if they "defeated" a PIR by moving through a room very quickly, the PIR wasn't set up properly to begin with. Proper placement, aiming angle, and sensitivity adjustment are all vital elements of good catch performance, while reducing the possibility of false alarms.

A good alarm system consists of "layers" of protection, and not just a single motion sensor for the interior protection.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

are set so that

wasn't set up

adjustment are all

false alarms.

motion sensor for

This is the segment referred to and dates...

formatting link
BTW...watch to see what happens when they walk through holding up a large white sheet.....

Reply to
coord

Naw, they mentioned reading that IRs can't see through glass. They took a small piece of glass fashioned a wire frame and hung it a few inches from the IR lens so it didn't trip when someone walked through the room. I'll tell you, it was cool on how they rigged the pole and wire hanger and didn't trip the motion when they dangled and placed the glass.

Now that I think about it, didn't one of those military shows demonstrated how they use colored smoke to prevent battlefield infared detectors from seeing body heat,?

So much so quick on defeating IR's........

Hey, I got it! the producers of those shows own stock in a competing type of detector!

Reply to
Jen...tel

When installing a system in a High-Risk building, Motion Detectors with Anti-Mask is a must........ If the detector in the video had the anti-mask feature, their little glass trick wouldn't have worked...

Reply to
Russell Brill

Thats what you get for watching stuff on TV

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Whaddayamean?? Last week on CSI I saw them get DNA off a lougie stain on some guy's turban after it was recovred from an alligator's belly in Florida. js

Reply to
alarman

How are they going to get 20 feet down my hallway to put a piece of glass over the detector. What was the point of this show? To show burglars how to break into houses. Only in America. Just like the true crime and CSI shows that show how to commit a heinous crime and get away with it.

Or perhaps the show was truly attempting to educate the public on the weaknesses of thier present technology. Did they offer a superior product that can't be so "easily" defeated. What was it?

I doubt that any burglar is going to take the chance that he can run across the room and defeat a motion detector. If the house is alarmed at all, 99.9% of the burglars won't go near it. The other 0.1% will run away after tripping the audible alarm. There are enough good targets out there without alarms to worry about the ones that do.

IMHO JollyRoger

Reply to
jollyroger

See the problem here is you watch CSI, I always go for the Law and Order trilogy myself, much more realistic

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Sure, I love the way they do business. "You're under arrest. No, wait...You're under arrest, um, no, just a minute, OK, YOU'RE under arrest. js

Reply to
alarman

All that matters is they get it right in the end

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.