WEP - how easy is it to defeat?

I am a newbie, so pls be gentle ... :-) How easy is it to defeat WEP? From reading the the news traffic in this group it seemed that many people are having trouble with WPA (PSK?) so I have not gone with it, yet. Currently I am only enabling WEP (

10-digit hex network connection) and SSID hidden/not broadcast. Is there a tool that people use to sniff un-encrypted wifi signal and extract this network login key or something like that? I think it would help other newbie too if someone can give info on how these things are hacked. Thanks.
Reply to
cmdrdata
Loading thread data ...

ok, here's my setup and help me understand if I am at risk: two laptops on wifi, both are mostly "off" when not in use (hibernate or standby). My desktop (hard wired 10BaseT) is also powered off when not in use. Shared printer connected to the router is always on, and I live in the suburb. Nothing else is shared between these PCs. However, my DSL is always connected to the internet. Is this a high risk setup with just WEP?

Another question: When I bring my laptop in the car, I can drive around and see many wifi signal with 50% says unsecured, and some of them have SSID=default. So If I stopped in a parking lot and connect to this network to access the internet using someone's unsecured wifi network, is there a law against that yet (I am sure there will be one soon).

Reply to
cmdrdata

I don't know specifics on the subject (a google search would probably be enlightening), but there is software available which can break a WEP key in a very short time if there is sufficient traffic (say a minute?).

Not broadcasting the SSID is worthless as is filtering MAC addresses.

WEP is fine for preventing someone from inadvertently connecting to your network, but not for security.

If you don't want someone to connect to your network, use WPA or WPA2 with a good, long passphrase (one that is not easily discovered with a dictionary attack).

Reply to
Jerry Park

Unencrypted WLAN traffic can be intercepted VERY easy, see this screenshot for an example:

formatting link

Reply to
peter20052005

The laws in most places are not clear about connecting to unsecured networks. In some places you can be charged -- but it is also hard to determine who connected to an unsecured network.

Another reason it is unclear is that it is easy to connect to an unsecured network inadvertently. Where I live, there has been no other wireless network near enough to register at my home until recently. About a week ago, I noticed I couldn't connect to my network printer. Discovered my wireless card had connected to my neighbor's unsecured network instead of my own network. Easy enough to fix, but very easy to happen.

Systems which are powered off are not at risk. If any system is running, it can compromise your network. If anyone breaks your WEP encryption, they can access your access point at any time, since it is always on. If someone using your AP engages in illegal activity through your IP, that activity could be attributed to you.

It is not very probable that anyone will misuse your network or even want to break in (until just recently, my AP was unsecured), but if you are concerned, you should use WPA.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Of course it would be better to have security than not have security. But, getting an access code requires dedication, skill, talent, know-how, time and hard work.. Not just any run-of-the-mill hacker can do it. A person would need a reason to get a code. Plus generally a long transmission would be required. Generally a professional would be needed and professionals have to be paid, usually. I don't flatter my ego by thinking that such a person will be attracted to my AP. Some of the security scare is promoted by orgs. who sell their wares to you..IMHOP

Reply to
Hank

See .

In 2003, Rob Flickenger cracked a WEP key after sniffing about 90 minutes of traffic on a busy 802.11b network. (The "hidden" SSID was detected in seconds.) Today, a similarly saturated 802.11g network could be cracked in even less time. That doesn't mean WEP is worthless. It's still better than nothing, but it's just not a significant hurdle for a determined attacker.

As for reported problems with WPA, remember that Usenet always exaggerates the negative: people don't post about problems they aren't having. WPA has been around for a while, and lots of people are using it successfully. Try it. If it works for you, there's no reason to stick with WEP.

Reply to
Neill Massello

This article

formatting link
a great job of explaining how WEP can be broken using a handful of free tools. The technique is not for noobs, but far from beyond the realm of possibility for a weekend hacker.

Reply to
Smartin

There is precedent in the UK for unauthorised WLAN access being a criminal offence:

formatting link
WPA works just as well as WEP as is far more secure. Use WPA-PSK (Pre Shared Key), with a strong key (letters, symbols & numbers, and nothing in the dictionary) - keep this key to yourself.

Reply to
__spc__

My thinking is more in line with Hank. As long as the casual user don't have an easy access to my network, I think that I am quite safe. OTOH, say that I am traveling with my my wifi laptop, found an "unsecured" AP, and unbeknowsnt to me this was a "scam" setup by a scrupulous operator to retrieve critical data from anyone that uses that network, then I'd be in real trouble.... Say this person is sniffing my TCP/IP traffic and extracting bank account info, login password etc. I mean don't we all at one or another use the hotel network or other legit wifi AP to check our bank statements etc.? This brings up another point that I also am experiencing: my WZC is dropping one connection and trying to connect to other network it sees, and then it goes back to the previous network.

Reply to
cmdrdata

There is a big difference between securing your network and what you choose to do on someone else's network.

You can try unchecking "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" in your wireless setup, though I'm not at all sure how effective this is.

Reply to
Smartin

Your original post asked how easy it was to crack WEP. As you have learned, WEP can now be cracked in a few minutes. Your original post also implied an interest in the relative merits of WEP versus WPA. If you are willing to use wireless encryption, and WPA is supported by your hardware and OS, there's no reason to use WEP.

As for whether you should use wireless security at all, that's obviously your call. I live in a pretty safe wireless data environment, and I don't transmit sensitive information over my wireless LAN; but I use WPA. Why? Because it's really cheap insurance.

This might have something to do with your SSID being hidden. Encryption will also eliminate the risk of broadcasting your SSID to "casual" users: they'll be able to see it, but they won't be able to do anything with it.

Reply to
Neill Massello

That data should be SSL protected.

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Until a neighbor kid thinks cracking is cool. Hint: You aren't safe at all.

Reply to
John Navas

All-in-one WEP cracking tools, suitable for noobs, are now readily available.

Reply to
John Navas

That's odd logic. The casual user is only hogging your bandwidth. You can fix them with many routers just by playing with the Quality of Service settings, so that they can't create an accidental DOS.

The determined hacker _isn't_ just going to use your bandwidth - they're the only ones you need to keep out.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.