No glass break tube install a piece of wire in Pull Station ? WTF

From the what the f*ck was this ass hole thinking hall of dishonor.

replaced an old Fire-lite Miniscan 112 yesterday that had original BG

1 pull stations from 50's when person who serviced alarm could not longer get break glass pieces or was too f****ng lazy to buy them or find them they took a piece of 12 # gauge wire and put them in them thereby assuring they could never be activated and pulled open if there was a fire on the manual pull only system in this old building what a f****ng moron.
Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

From the what the f*ck was this ass hole thinking hall of dishonor.

replaced an old Fire-lite Miniscan 112 yesterday that had original BG

1 pull stations from 50's when person who serviced alarm could not longer get break glass pieces or was too f****ng lazy to buy them or find them they took a piece of 12 # gauge wire and put them in them thereby assuring they could never be activated and pulled open if there was a fire on the manual pull only system in this old building what a f****ng moron.

-----------------------------------------

do you one better Nick,

public school system, Louisville KY USA, maintenance men, at the direction of the principal, install nail's in the pull stations to avoid student pulled false alarms..

RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Ran into the same situation a number of years ago. The original pulls had glass rods. I know that they're still available for this particular pull but some one at least had the presence of mind to use a wooden dowel.

I thought about it later and maybe a wooden dowel should have been used in the first place. If ya think about it for a minute ..... If a fire started, maybe it would burn the dowel before it activated a detector ..... :-)))

A NAIL!!!!! Jeeeeez ...... wotta jerk!

He should have put them in locked cases and chained the doors shut too.

Reply to
Jim

Even if it did burn through the dowel, it wouldn't actuate the pull-station.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I don't know what old pull-stations you two are talking about. The ones like that I've worked on have a toggle switch behind the unit that is not "easily" actuated by the force of gravity. In fact, the glass doesn't hold up the actuator; it's there to visually inspect which one was pulled on-purpose. It also acts as a psychological barrier to prevent some kid pulling it.

I've seen a ton of them without the glass and the little flip actuator stays up by design. not held up by the glass/match/dowel.

Reply to
G. Morgan

They sound like Edward's stations and the rods are still available, the last ones I bought from ADI were plastic with a groove in the middle to allow them to break easily.

For the most part though the toggle switch is broken when we get the call to reset the system, caused by someone trying to forcibly close the "flap" without opening the pull station and resetting the toggle switch.

I've never seen one with anything other than the glass/plastic rod in place or occasionally without anything at all

Doug

Reply to
doug

I have seen some with a fiberglass break rods and Kidde unit which used a fire board key

Reply to
nick markowitz

Pacific Protective Systems used to manufacture break glass stations with a fiber washer (a number of them are still in active service even though they don't have a ULC Listing). I've seen one instance where a resident manager replaced the fiber one with a regular steel washer. Like anyone carries a screwdriver in their back pocket... Oh wait... I just happen to have one! :-)

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Was that the same pull station ADEMCO used with the 508 fire system?

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Stanley

The model 529 pull station had round fiber disk #530. The 532 had a glass rod and I think it's the same unit but Ademco had their own part number for it. The 527 photo smoke detector, 512 four zone expander panel and 518 fire horn..... were the rest of that line.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.