International Electronics Glass Break Detector?

Hi All:

I'm trying to find some documentation for some glass break detectors that are built into the wall of a house I'm buying. I'm guessing that these are about 12 years old. They are manufactured by International Electronics, Inc., model IEI-552LS, Audio Glass Break Detector.

They look a bit complicated, and I'd like to figure out how to test/calibrate them.

Anyone heard of these, and can you point me in the direction for documentation?

Thanks, as always,

Rob Houston

Reply to
rahouston
Loading thread data ...

I have 10 of them in my house.

You can't calibrate them other than setting them for the type of glass you have in that room, which should already be done.

To properly test them you need to buy a glassbreak tester for IEI products. That being said most gb testers are only an approximation of what is needed to set the detector off.

I have hundreds of IEI's out there an have had very few total failures, very few false alarms, and have never had one fail to go off when broken glass was within their range of detection.

Some guys don't like them...not sure why. But, they are more expensive than most gbs out there too.

hth..

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I had IEI 555s and 557s (I think) in lots of places. They work well, but I have had falses in any semi closed smaller spaces with loud noises. They didn't discriminate as well as I would have liked.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I still use the 550LS's and also FG730s

Reply to
Crash Gordon

fg730's seem ok, the cover is cheesy though they always look like they're not quite closed. I've only put in about 50 so far so I cant be too critical. Have had 2 falses on one house though...small kitchen...so cant be too critical of that either.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

EWWWWWW!!! I tried IEI years ago (the rep was in town and positively

*begged* me give them a chance). Changed both the "test" detectors out to FG-730's. Won't sell/install anything but. You may think differently. I notice several pro's have responded to your request for information. We many have had a "bad batch". This happens, but I'd rather not take the chance with my customers. Call-backs are a bitch.
Reply to
Frank Olson

Guys:

This is terrific information----thanks!

Back to my original question---where can I get documentation (perhaps a manual) for these units? I can't seem to find them online.

Thanks again,

Rob

Reply to
rahouston

Jim:

Thanks! Their website didn't even list anything about glass breaks, so they must be out of that business.

Rob

Reply to
rahouston

I've tried most major brands of glass breaks at one time or another. I had more trouble with IEI than any other except the old Bluegrass junk.

IntelliSense (Honeywell) glass break detectors such as the FG730 you mention have been very stable. I've installed countless FG-730 models. The newer FG-1625 series have better cases and are far more popular.

The IntelliSense FG-1625RFM (round flush mount) units are terrific. The detector is inserted in a small hole in the wall. The visible part is about the size of a silver dollar. They're the lowest profile glass break detector we carry.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I must have close to a thousand 550s out there and have not many inexplicable problems..one or two bad outta the box... a few failed after years of service ot kids putting cheerios in the them...that kinda thing.

1625 is cheap cheep, at least the 730 has a sensitivity adj.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I contacted IEI...if they still have it they will fax it to me. Don't hold your breath though... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.