Belkin f5d7010 piece of crap?

I heard of people having problems with this pci card in such an extend I never could believe it was really true until yesterday. I tried to install a Belkin f5d7010 in my Toshiba Satellite and failed. Simply there is no way to make it work so I guess the card is faulty and probably broken for good. BTW the card was working in another Toshiba Satellite at my office. What a piece of crap! Is it possible that a PCI plug&play card burns so easily in 2005? And YES, after 20 years dealing with computers I know how to handle a PCI card.

Reply to
jcrevani
Loading thread data ...

Well, with 20 years of experience, you should probably have supplied the model number of the Toshiba Satellite laptop and the operating system used. You should also have noted that the Belkin f5d7010 is a CardBus card for a laptop, not a PCI card, which would be for a desktop. It would really have been nice if you supplied the hardware version of the card, and the version of the driver you've failed to install.

The Belkin f5d7010 v2 has a problem. The support page shows v1 through v4 models. The posted drivers for the v1 model work just fine. The posted drivers for the v2 model fail miserably. I don't know about v3 or v4. Go unto: |

formatting link
(insert model number) and note the 4 versions which you didn't bother to specify. Just to make it interesting, the v2 model does not say v2 on the serial number label, but does look like the photo on the support page.

The problem was covered in a previous posting at: |

formatting link
only the v2 driver that comes on the original CDROM seems to work. I have customers that bought a few of these and that's what I had to do to make them work. I would offer to email a copy of the original cdrom for the v2 but I couldn't find it.

For additional entertainment, try asking Belkin why the downloaded v2 driver is named: F5D7010_V2_UK.EXE which implies that it's for UK, not US, which have different regulatory domains.

In the future, if you have a problem, complaint, rant or combination thereof, kindly supply enough information so that a reader can determine if the problem also applies to their own system.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Are you making a statement or trying to ask a question?

Reply to
Frank

About a year ago, Belkin did something very stupid: they changed the chipset used in their wireless adapters but didn't change the model numbers for the cards. To make matters worse, they also didn't update the specs published on their web site. Some Mac users bought these cards only to find that, unlike the previous Broadcom-based versions, the new cards no longer worked with Apple's AirPort driver. When they called Belkin tech support, they were told things like "We don't support Macs." It looks like the web page for the F5D7010 still contains erroneous information about OS support.

For this reason -- and others, like the famous decision to have their routers occasionally redirect traffic to Belkin web pages -- it's best to avoid Belkin wireless products: you never really know what you're getting. I have no qualms about Belkin's cables, hubs, and other accessories; but their wireless networking division is a mess.

Reply to
Neill Massello

I understand what you mean. The f5d7010 fails very easily as you say. I did blown one new card on my Toshiba Satellite too. I prefer to stay away from Belkin.

Reply to
exordio

Santa Claus did the trick. I got a gift: a 'Linksys WPC54G Wireless-G Notebook Adapter.' It works like a dream matching my Linksys Wireless-G router. BTW, the f5d7010 is broken, burned, kaputt.

Reply to
jcrevani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.