Glass Break Detectors

What is the general consensus on glass break detectors? Do they work well enough to rely on them as a primary perimeter security device? Or are motion dectors a better bet?

I currently have Caddx CDX-2000 (?) detectors on my home system. They have been triggered by 1) a pot hitting the kitchen floor 2) a dropped mag-light flashlight. I have no idea if they would be triggered by an actual glass break. I'm worried that blinds and/or curtains might affect the shock and sound spectrum enough to prevent triggering.

Are there better models of glass break detectors out there? I can find several other makes and models but I can't seem to find a review of the technology or a discussion of which might be the best at detecting glass breaks.

All comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

Glass breaks change depending on the application.The Sentrol one's are usually pretty reliable. Think i have only had one fail in the past 2 years. As for if they will actually go off depends on alot of factors. Blinds/drapes, distance from said window, hard wood floors or carpet? Placement can make or break it(no pun intended).But everyone will have diffrent opinion's on makes and models. But personally i prefer the sentrol detectors, although they are a little more money we dont see many problems from them.

Devin

Reply to
Devin

There really isn't any general consensus. Some dealers consider glass breaks a standard part of most installations. Others believe they are not reliable. Most models false occasionally, especially during heavy thunderstorms. Poor quality models false whenever there's noise in the adjoinging county. I've tried a number of brands over the years and have had good results with a few. IntelliSense makes a series they call "FlexCore" (used to be "FlexGuard"). I sell a hundred or more of their FG1625 series every month and rarely have problems with them. I used to install the earlier FG1525 series and they worked very well for me.

Like most things, the key with glass breaks is to install them in places where they are least likely to cause problems. Avoid using them in small, enclosed spaces which tend to amplify the effects of external noises. Some models have adjustable sensitivity. Set them so that they will just barely trip when you activate the manufacturer's tester.

You should be aware of certain limitations of glass break detectors. For one thing, they won't usually respond to a window being pried open. Thy're obviously useless in detecting a break-in if the window is left unlocked. Also, a detector that worked well during installation may not respond if you change the environment significantly. Heavy drapes, deep carpet and soft furniture can all affect the performance of glass breaks. Given these limitations you may wish to back up glass breaks with a few well placed motion detectors.

In short, glass breaks are a useful tool but they should not be the only means of detection in most applications.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

"Robert L. Bass" proclaimed to all and sundry news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I'll bet you even wrote this with a straight face...

Reply to
Frank Olson

I use them. But I always tell the customer they wont work if you forget to lock your windows. If the budget allows, I like a switched window and a glass break.

If I have to choose, I would take a switched window.

Reply to
Paul Brewington

Thanks for everyone for their comments.

So in your experience are windows more often pried/left open rather than broken? I wish there was someplace I could get some statistics on this...

I hesitate to do window switches because I have a lot of windows in my house, and I haven't seen a really clean installation them.

I actually did have a broken window break-in several years ago, before I had glass break detectors. The switched interior door triggered the alarm and scared the bastards off.

I don't detect any preference for brands or models other than the "I have used them and they work okay" variety. Is there a consumer reports style testing organization for security products?

Reply to
Dave

In my experience...mostly pried open...less noise created by the purp. Unless I'm doing a very basic system (less than 30% of my installs) - I will use all three...all exterior operable doors/windows contacted, motion detectors, and glassbreaks - locations depend on floorplan and how the client moves about the house.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I just checked sales since January 1, 2005 and it turns out I'm actually only moving about 63 of them a month. Combined with other glass break models it's just over 100 a month.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

He's fat. He couldn't put on a straight face with the aid of a steamroller.

Reply to
no wires showing

Uh-huh... and with all the "extra service" you provide, you're probably getting back 61 - 98... Do you pay for return shipping when the cancel their orders too??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.